Yes!
12 (26.7%)
No!
33 (73.3%)
I'm stupid and have no opinion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Razgovory

This is mostly a question for Americans, but other countries have similar laws.  Should we keep affirmative action?  I've come to the opinion that it should be phase out by the end of this decade.  It may have done a lot of good in the 1960's to the 1980's, but I think it does more harm then good these days.  I think it engenders resentment and cheapens accomplishments of the minority groups it is suppose to help.  What say the rest of the board?

Btw, when I say "Affirmative action, I'm thinking more of the quota system rather then anti-discrimination laws.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Since Affirmative Action isn't quotas, I wasn't sure how to answer the question, but said no since quotas are unjust.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

It's retarded so you Americans may want to keep it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

"Affirmative action" means so many different things, in so many different areas, you simply can not give a flat answer.

There are situations where it clearly seems warranted.  For example, the Government of Nunavut has an explicit policy to hire Inuit people wherever possible.  But this is because Inuit people are the large majority of the population, but even today hold only a minority of Nunavut government jobs.  It also helps for language purposes - they want Inuktitut speaking people because they can provide services in Inuktitut to people.

On the other hand, you can certainly come up with examples where "affirmative action" seems to be helping someone who might be part of a visible minority, but has grown up in a very priviledged environment and hardly needs a hand up.

So, I answer - it depends.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2011, 01:07:53 PMIt also helps for language purposes - they want Inuktitut speaking people because they can provide services in Inuktitut to people.

That sounds like a big enough advantage that you really wouldn't need a policy to promote it also.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

I think in the UK if two candidates are more or less equal in all other respects you can positively discriminate on grounds of things like race, age, sex, disability and the like.  I'm broadly supportive of that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I'm in favour of rational discrimination. Imagine that one is a university admissions officer and have one final place to dish out and two candidates. Candidate A is white, has two parents who are pillars of the establishment, went to Eton and has A*AB. Candidate B is black, has only one parent who is a junkie, went to Tottenham comprehensive and has ABB.

I would interview both and likely give the spot to the candidate from Tottenham in the absence of serious character flaws.

In this (rather hypothetical) case the ABB is far more impressive than the A*AB.

OTOH, no way would I like to give the place to someone just to meet a quota  :mad:

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2011, 12:17:53 PM
Since Affirmative Action isn't quotas, I wasn't sure how to answer the question, but said no since quotas are unjust.
You know, in principle, I agree.
People should not get an advantage simply 'cause they're this or that.

However, we may think all is good and that there are no disadvantaged people because we decided all are equal. That's just not true.
So I'd offer someone who's female, from some shitty place and under-educated a better opportunity than your average white, over-cuddled male Norwegian.

Just because we need more females from shitty places making themselves a career.

derspiess

There are always quotas, whether explicitly stated or not.  If someone determines there are not enough people from whatever "disadvantaged" group represented in a company, university, etc. then there must be some % or number at which they would be satisfied that there are enough.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

voted yes. not surprised one bit that languish votes no :D

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on August 26, 2011, 03:21:22 PM
voted yes. not surprised one bit that languish votes no :D

:)  My faith in Languish: restored.

The poll results don't seem to match up with the thread comments so far, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I dislike AA for a number of reasons.

It punishes the current generation for the alleged transgressions of the previous generation.

It's benefits have tended to concentrate on a small pool of relatively advantaged children of upper middle class blacks.

I don't get anything out of it.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2011, 03:12:16 PM

There are always quotas, whether explicitly stated or not.  If someone determines there are not enough people from whatever "disadvantaged" group represented in a company, university, etc. then there must be some % or number at which they would be satisfied that there are enough.

This was my thought.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

If Wiki is correct affirmative action is only legal in Sweden regarding male/female and only when hiring people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.