News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Twin Reduction Abortion

Started by jimmy olsen, August 16, 2011, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

When do you tell the kid, anyway?  Over dinner after soccer practice?  "Pass the lasagna--hey, this looks like your brother!"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

And what if the one you chose is a disappointment. You spend the rest of your days looking at your crackhead kid thinking "damn I choose the wrong one"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

LaCroix

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 03:19:50 PMThat could be the case, but I doubt many would be all that affected.

maybe not. we hear how close twins are, though, and finding out that you could have had such a bond but your parents decided against it might be crushing for some. i personally wouldn't do it, unless there's a jon & kate situation, then well, why not flush a few of 'em away? not like it really matters once you hit that level

hvc/ideologue-  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 10:24:40 AM
Sounds like something the author of the article *hopes* will trouble pro-choicers.
He has links to a whole bunch of pro-choicers who say they are troubled by it. He's pondering why that's the case.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2011, 05:32:05 PM
Sounds like something the author of the article *hopes* will trouble pro-choicers.
He has links to a whole bunch of pro-choicers who say they are troubled by it. He's pondering why that's the case.

Most people are not rigorous about their belief systems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 03:22:14 PM
When do you tell the kid, anyway?  Over dinner after soccer practice?  "Pass the lasagna--hey, this looks like your brother!"

"When"?  How about "why"?  I can't see any reason you'd ever tell the kid.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2011, 05:32:05 PM

Most people are not rigorous about their belief systems.

Most people don't actually replace ideology for reality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2011, 07:25:11 PM

"When"?  How about "why"?  I can't see any reason you'd ever tell the kid.
Guilt?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Ide is the new Soviet Man.  He is beyond guilt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 11:23:22 AM
I used to do so, and I was pretty obligated to oppose abortion.  If you don't, as I now don't, then the obvious outcome is that abortion is fine for any reason or no reason. 

Disappointing. Not only because you no longer agree with me, but it makes the overall tenor of your beliefs much more conventional.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2011, 08:34:06 PM
Disappointing. Not only because you no longer agree with me, but it makes the overall tenor of your beliefs much more conventional.
You watch, pretty soon Ide's going to turn against terror bombing, too.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 11:13:51 AM
Most people who are pro-choice don't think abortion needs a "justification", because they don't think of an early-term fetus as being a "person" at all.

I guess I don't fall in this category at all. I am almost rabidly pro-choice, yet I still think of fetuses as "babies". I just think it's better for an unwanted child to die before it gains consciousness than the alternative. I'm sad to think that this is the case, but I'm also savvy enough to know that abortions are going to happen whether legal or not, so it's best to make them as safe as possible.

One can hold a belief on this and still be conflicted. For me, it's not black-and-white. There is a lot of gray area in there.

As for the "twin bond myth", I'd argue that it's not a myth at all. As my twins will tell you, they know when something is wrong with the other. It's uncanny, really. And the fear they have when they don't know where the other is has been obvious since they were infants. I have no idea how to explain it, but there's no question that it's there.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 10:24:41 AM
QuoteUnder federal law, anyone who injures or kills a "child in utero" during a violent crime gets the same punishment as if he had injured or killed "the unborn child's mother,"

And that's just retarded. Killing a fetus (outside of a consensual abortion procedure) should carry a penalty, but equating it with a proper murder is simply wrong.

As with any discussion about morality, it's difficult to carry a conversation without first agreeing on definitions.

Certainly, an argument could probably be made that killing a fetus is not murder per se since the fetus hasn't lived enough to become a person any more than a fish or a plant. But then, we end up in the entire Potential argument, and that slope is pretty fucking slippery.

When looking at these types of issues I have a process, which starts by an initial assessment of my "gut feeling" and continues to examine the evidence before coming to a conclusion. Clearly, the gut is going to present a strong bias initially, and without burrowing deeper in this my gut is currently screaming "savages!  :mad: ".

The concept of "removing" one twin simply doesn't feel right.

Slargos

Learning a few years back that I was supposed to have another older brother whom my parents aborted two years before I was born was pretty uncomfortable.