And we're back!

Main Menu

Twin Reduction Abortion

Started by jimmy olsen, August 16, 2011, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: stjaba on August 16, 2011, 11:07:41 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
Isn't "financial hassle" the principal reason to abort?

Who knows? Anyways, of the various to get an abortion, it's probably the least justifiable.

Also, it is hard to believe that someone who could afford elective IVF treatments cannot really afford a child. The financial hassle justification is easier to swallow when someone is a college student, barely making ends meet, etc.

Most people who are pro-choice don't think abortion needs a "justification", because they don't think of an early-term fetus as being a "person" at all.

The IVF procedure simply highlights this. Usually, they attempt to implant a few fetuses in the hopes that one will "take". What about the fetuses they don't implant? Is there something wrong with that? If not, what's so bad about implanting some, and if more than one "take", getting rid of the extra?

If that's a problem, then surely throwing out the "unimplanted" extras at the lab is also a problem, and everyone who goes in for IVF ought to make like Octomom and implant all of 'em. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

My friend got pregnant with triplets on IVF after several rounds of traumatic and expensive treatment. She was advised to abort one or two to ensure survival of the remaining one. Her main thought was, "What if the one I keep dies anyhow?" She kept them all and has three noisy eight year olds. But you could literally see her belly in front of her eyes towards the day she delivered.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 11:13:51 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
Isn't "financial hassle" the principal reason to abort?

Who knows? Anyways, of the various to get an abortion, it's probably the least justifiable.

Also, it is hard to believe that someone who could afford elective IVF treatments cannot really afford a child. The financial hassle justification is easier to swallow when someone is a college student, barely making ends meet, etc.

Most people who are pro-choice don't think abortion needs a "justification", because they don't think of an early-term fetus as being a "person" at all. 

No kidding.  I mean, if you think of a fetus as a person, I don't know what kind of weird moral calculus you'd have to make.

I used to do so, and I was pretty obligated to oppose abortion.  If you don't, as I now don't, then the obvious outcome is that abortion is fine for any reason or no reason.  At least on an intellectual level, although on an emotional level it's more difficult to separate persons from non-persons.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Not having the resources to properly raise a child is the least justifiable reason?  I would think aborting one even though you have the resources would be less justifiable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

though i've no problem with killing off unwanted future-children, aborting one twin and keeping the other seems pretty awful for the future of that surviving twin. provided he's told at some point; probably best to never tell him

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on August 16, 2011, 12:04:43 PM
though i've no problem with killing off unwanted future-children, aborting one twin and keeping the other seems pretty awful for the future of that surviving twin. provided he's told at some point; probably best to never tell him

Just as difficult as explaining the half-dozen or so "extra" embryos the lab tossed out during the IVF procedure.

Or worse, the ten-million or so sperm that didn't make it ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

'Son you had 10 million brothers and sisters but they died tragically to your mother's genocidal immune system.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2011, 12:52:31 PM
'Son you had 10 million brothers and sisters but they died tragically to your mother's genocidal immune system.'
"You know how they say you can't impregnate a women through anal... they lied"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 12:39:35 PM

Just as difficult as explaining the half-dozen or so "extra" embryos the lab tossed out during the IVF procedure.

Not as difficult as knowing you were going to get aborted but your mother was prevented from exercising her right because of a dysfunctional, retarded "conscience" clause. A woman like this (who lost her eyesight as a result of the pregnancy) sued the Polish state for a reason like this recently.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 02:09:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 12:39:35 PM

Not as difficult as knowing you were going to get aborted but your mother was prevented from exercising her right because of a dysfunctional, retarded "conscience" clause. A woman like this (who lost her eyesight as a result of the pregnancy) sued the Polish state for a reason like this recently.

A clause that allowed you to live, yeah, I suppose it would be hard to live with that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I think a lot of people find it hard to live with a clause that allows Martinus to live.

LaCroix

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 12:39:35 PMJust as difficult as explaining the half-dozen or so "extra" embryos the lab tossed out during the IVF procedure.

nay. i'm 100% pro-abortion (yes, pro-abortion, fuck pro-choice), so there needn't be any of that. i'm just saying, as an emotional setback, finding out that your twin was offed before you ever knew him would seem to me to be pretty harsh. also, as others have commented on, the "coulda been me!" might cause issues

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on August 16, 2011, 02:57:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2011, 12:39:35 PMJust as difficult as explaining the half-dozen or so "extra" embryos the lab tossed out during the IVF procedure.

nay. i'm 100% pro-abortion (yes, pro-abortion, fuck pro-choice), so there needn't be any of that. i'm just saying, as an emotional setback, finding out that your twin was offed before you ever knew him would seem to me to be pretty harsh. also, as others have commented on, the "coulda been me!" might cause issues

That could be the case, but I doubt many would be all that affected. Daddy coulda wore a condom, and I would not have existed ... people have an inherent ability to write off possibilities which coulda led to them not existing, due to a human belief in the centrality of their own existence.

HVC

Quote from: LaCroix on August 16, 2011, 02:57:26 PM

could be a motivator. Dropped your coffee at work? missed the last bus? "Well at least i have better luck then my brother" :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.