News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More questions about Talmud

Started by Slargos, July 24, 2011, 07:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Is this the start of Slargos's career as budding Talmudic scholar?

Will we see him in Yeshiva class in the near future?

Stay tuned!  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2011, 10:02:30 AM

Know thine enemy.  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 10:04:25 AM

Know thine enemy.  :hmm:

Sure, sure. Justify your fatal attraction that way.

When you immigrate to Mea Sherim to have six little Orthodox children with a heeby beauty and spend your days studying Torah, you will no doubt claim to be in "deep cover".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

No doubt. No doubt.  :sleep:

And 9 years from now...   :menace:

[Too soon?  :Embarrass: ]

grumbler

No, because Yeshivot require you to think.  As the Slargbilly has shown, he just wants to be a passive consumer of information.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

However shall I recover from this slight.  :cry:

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 09:47:59 AMWould you rather I just draw my own conclusions?

I don't think it matters much. You always seem to draw your conclusions independently of any reason, argument or fact.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2011, 09:54:02 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 25, 2011, 09:47:59 AM
Would you rather I just draw my own conclusions?

I was hoping you'd be capable of using google if you were lacking in sense.

"If" ???

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 02:29:51 PM
I'm using "bronze age" to mean something else than it really means. Duh.  :rolleyes:

I should know better than to respond further but this really bugs me.  The Abrahamic religions arose quite deep in the Iron Age, and that is fact of relevance to understanding not just the history of religion, but ancient history generally.  Talking about the Bronze Age in this context is like talking about Napoleon's impact on the Italian Rennaissance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

So you mean that it's also not true that if a Jew touches Iron, he melts away and has to sleep in a coffin until the next full moon in order to rebuild his corporeal body?

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2011, 11:59:26 AM
I'm using "bronze age" to mean something else than it really means. Duh.  :rolleyes:

I should know better than to respond further but this really bugs me.  The Abrahamic religions arose quite deep in the Iron Age, and that is fact of relevance to understanding not just the history of religion, but ancient history generally.  Talking about the Bronze Age in this context is like talking about Napoleon's impact on the Italian Rennaissance.

Ok. Fine. Replace "Bronze Age" with "Iron Age". Ok?

My notions of Bronze Age and Iron Age may have been influenced by Sid Meier's Civilization.  :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2011, 08:55:01 AM
The troll gets his meal, and all we get are archaeology lessons from Martinus.

Bad deal for us.

I got a few zings in, so I'm happy.  What I like about Marty is that he will make the same mistake several times even after being corrected.  I don't have to think up new jokes every time he says something dumb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Rasputin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2011, 11:59:26 AM

in addition to correcting this thread here, there's a thread in the back alley where marty wants to compare penis size with you
(metaphorically speaking)...
Who is John Galt?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Rasputin on July 25, 2011, 04:18:09 PM
in addition to correcting this thread here, there's a thread in the back alley where marty wants to compare penis size with you
(metaphorically speaking)...

Would a penis by any other name still taste as sweet? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.