And we're back!

Main Menu

Lasers? Railguns? Sorry, too broke.

Started by Brazen, June 22, 2011, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2011, 06:47:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2011, 12:04:59 PM
I want to know why the super-efficient and competent private sector isn't picking up the slack. :mad:

Because there's no private market for rail guns.  :mellow:

2nd ammend issue. :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2011, 06:58:02 AM
I want to know why the super-efficient and competent private sector isn't picking up the slack. :mad:

Hunting with a railgun is illegal in Wisconsin.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2011, 07:23:12 AM

Ive never read or heard of that BS :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2011, 06:44:13 AM
Quotethe Office of Naval Research, the mad scientists of the Navy

Classy, Mr. Reporter.  Classy.
I think you are mistaking a bit of tongue-in-cheek for something more serious.  The writer has issues with logic, but I liked the bit you quoted. 

You want to bitch about classless adjectives in the report, bitch about 
Quotea summary released by the committee gleefully reports.
(my bold)  There is no glee in the report at all, and implying that there is is both unprofessional and dishonest.  The author is trying to create antagonism where none exists, for reasons that escape me.

The budget committee, in times of budget constraints, chopped the two programs they thought had the least chance of ever being fielded.  You can argue that decision, but you cannot (honestly) argue that the report is "gleeful" about the decision, nor can you argue (given the host of other laser programs still funded) that "The directed energy and electromagnetic weapons intended to protect the surface ships of the future" have been "Terminated."

Of course, we are talking here about someone who gives himself the handle of "attackerman" and posts in a blog called "Danger Room," so we shouldn't expect a very adult start to the discussion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2011, 07:40:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2011, 07:23:12 AM

Ive never read or heard of that BS :P
I posted the news before the fall of the old forum.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2011, 03:21:36 PM
A reactor can provide a lot of sustained power, but not enough instantaneous power.  You'd need to store the power.  I know there has been some talk of some kind of flywheel system to do that, because there has been talk of maybe needing two such systems to avoid Coriolis effect, but I don't know if that's just geek speculation or a real concern.  All I know is that reactors are better for things like propulsion than things like powering lasers.  Reactors take time to build up for greater power demands.

A new ship and reactor design wouldn't be a big hurdle - naval reactors has made steady progress while researching for improved submarine reactors.

I would figure that if you can put a reactor onto a sub, it shoudn't be that tough to fit one on a destroyer.

The storage issue is a important one for civilian applications as well; e.g. generation of power through renewable sources like wind where peak generation may not always coincide with peak demand.  Perhaps some kind of public-private research effort is in order.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

gun control is way too strict in the US, you can't even have your own personal railgun :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Well, not yet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2011, 12:05:17 PM

Well, not yet.

The Ahnold film "Eraser" tells me there is a rather lively market for railguns.  :mad: