Joplin Missouri Obliterated By Tornado, Over 150 Dead

Started by jimmy olsen, May 23, 2011, 05:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Big storms in my area tonight.  I hate rain.  It always floods my basement. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

citizen k

jimmy olsen

Looks like it got hit by a few B-52s  :wacko:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/05/tornado-damaged-joplin-from-above/100073/    

This aerial photograph shows a neighborhood destroyed by a powerful tornado in Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May 24, 2011. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel) 

The path of a powerful tornado is seen, curving from lower left, to  right center, back to upper left, in Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May  24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

The path of a powerful tornado is seen in Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Residents drive through wreckage in the path of the May 22nd 2011  tornado, seen in an aerial photo over Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May  24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

A neighborhood destroyed by a powerful tornado on Sunday, in Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

An apartment complex shattered by Sunday's powerful tornado, seen  in an aerial view over Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

The path of a powerful tornado is seen in Joplin, Missouri, Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Rubble, damaged houses and trees lie strewn through a neighborhood  destroyed by a powerful tornado, seen in an aerial photo taken over  Joplin, Missouri, Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

A destroyed apartment complex is seen in an aerial view over Joplin, Missouri, on Tuesday, May 24, 2011.  (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on May 24, 2011, 07:02:40 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on May 24, 2011, 07:36:00 AM
Well, that is one of the effects of global warming.

Or La Niña.

Because cyclical wind patterns can't possibly be affected by higher ocean temperatures and solar radiation.  Douche.

KRonn

Dozens more tornadoes hit parts of the South yesterday and last night.   :(   
How do you folks who live there deal with that stuff?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/25/8-dead-violent-weather-3-states/

Deadly Midwest Twisters Pummel
3 States — Are More on the Way?

DENNING, Ark. –  Violent storms that swept through a chunk of the central U.S. killed at least 13 people in three states, while toppling trees, crushing cars and ripping apart a rural Arkansas fire station.

The high-powered storms arrived Tuesday night and early Wednesday, just days after a massive tornado tore up the southwest Missouri city of Joplin and killed 122 people. The latest storms killed eight people in Oklahoma, two in Kansas and three more in Arkansas, before petering out.

Most of the Oklahoma fatalities occurred in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Cherokee Ballard, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's office, said early Wednesday that the storms killed five people in Canadian County, two in Logan County and one in Grady County.

Ballard said a child was among those killed, but she had no other details.

At least three people died as the storms bombarded Arkansas' Franklin and Johnson counties.
Department of Emergency Management spokesman Tommy Jackson said one person died after a tornado raked across the tiny western Arkansas community of Denning early Wednesday, and another died in an area called Bethlehem, in Johnson County.

Franklin County's chief deputy sheriff, Deputy Devin Bramlett, said early Wednesday that one person also died in the community of Etna.

Several people were also injured in Franklin and Johnson counties. A rural fire station in Franklin County was left without a roof as emergency workers rushed to the wounded. Downed trees and power lines tossed across roadways also slowed search-and-rescue crews' efforts.

In Kansas, police said two people died when high winds threw a tree into their van around 6 p.m. near the small town of St. John, about 100 miles west of Wichita. The highway was shut down because of storm damage.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Reminds me of the 1974 Xenia tornado. Only the Missou one looks much, much worse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on May 25, 2011, 07:51:00 AM
Dozens more tornadoes hit parts of the South yesterday and last night.   :(   
How do you folks who live there deal with that stuff?
Keep in mind that this has been an incredibly violent tornado season, far worse than is typical.  We've had like a dozen tornado alerts in my town this year.  IIRC we had like 1 or 2 last year and none the year prior to that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Currently under a tornado warning.  I can hear the sirens in the distance.  Luckily I'm already in the basement.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

What do people without a Basement do when there's a Tornado Warning?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2011, 05:57:47 AM
Quote from: citizen k on May 24, 2011, 07:02:40 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on May 24, 2011, 07:36:00 AM
Well, that is one of the effects of global warming.

Or La Niña.

Because cyclical wind patterns can't possibly be affected by higher ocean temperatures and solar radiation.  Douche.

Just quoting the meteorologists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2011, 01:26:08 PM
What do people without a Basement do when there's a Tornado Warning?

Central interior room or hallway.

Ed Anger