Lars von Trier proclaims himself a Nazi, gets kicked out of Cannes.

Started by Syt, May 19, 2011, 07:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2011, 10:53:45 AM
I don't get it - he's obviously not being serious, why the kerfuffle? He just made a bunch of jokes that fell flat. So what.
It is an opportunity for a class of professional victims to revel in their victimhood, as well as a chance for those who get off on perceived moral superiority to condemn him and prove themselves worthy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Norgy

If he'd been serious, well, meh. If not, still meh. He's still a director who makes movies I'd pay not to see. When I think of good Danish movies, none of them has the von Trier taint.

His being banned from Cannes is rather more disturbing. With such an amount of poorly thought-out opinions wandering around in the form of actors in that place, banning von Trier for poor delivery is just mean to someone who obviously lacks social skills.

Neil

Quote from: Norgy on May 19, 2011, 11:24:33 AM
His being banned from Cannes is rather more disturbing. With such an amount of poorly thought-out opinions wandering around in the form of actors in that place, banning von Trier for poor delivery is just mean to someone who obviously lacks social skills.
Yeah, but what can you do?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pat

Friend of mine made me watch Riget on DVD and coincidentally having seen the final two episodes just before hearing him speak of understanding Hitler etc I think I understand what he means - I think von Trier understands evil very well. Apparently there's been an American re-make of Riget...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on May 19, 2011, 11:24:33 AMHis being banned from Cannes is rather more disturbing. With such an amount of poorly thought-out opinions wandering around in the form of actors in that place, banning von Trier for poor delivery is just mean to someone who obviously lacks social skills.

And this attitude is why we don't take Europeans seriously.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2011, 11:08:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2011, 10:53:45 AM
I don't get it - he's obviously not being serious, why the kerfuffle? He just made a bunch of jokes that fell flat. So what.
It is an opportunity for a class of professional victims to revel in their victimhood, as well as a chance for those who get off on perceived moral superiority to condemn him and prove themselves worthy.

Only Neil and his anti-semitic European buddies would choose Hitler over the film industry.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2011, 05:25:06 AM

Have a complimentary basket of rolleyes.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on May 22, 2011, 01:13:53 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And here's a complimentary bouquet of dead Jews:

Slargos

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2011, 01:47:18 PM
Quote from: Norgy on May 22, 2011, 01:13:53 PM

And here's a complimentary bouquet of dead Jews:

Ah, that's non-pc funny.  :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

JonasSalk

Yuman