Investigators Determine Air France Disaster Caused By Plane Crash

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The reason - They were in heavy turbulence,  air speed sensor froze over, the autopilot disengaged, the crew raised the plane to 38k feet,  then it stalled and the crew became spatially disoriented, 3 and a half minutes later it hit the water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43205013#43203176
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 08:44:30 AM
We know what happened - someone screwed up and bought an Airbus instead of Boeing. The rest is just inevitable.

Sensors get iced over, and that fly-by-wire shit goes out the window.  If there were a real yoke and real controls, Boeing-style, the copilots may have been able to recover.
Kinda tough to press a shitload of buttons to scroll through menus in 3 and a half minutes when it's it's dropping in a aero-stall.

People will continue to die in Airbuses.  If only it had propellers.

jimmy olsen

I can see why a fighter jet needs it, but why does a commercial jet need fly by wire? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2011, 11:13:32 PM
We know what happened - someone screwed up and bought an Airbus instead of Boeing. The rest is just inevitable.

Sensors get iced over, and that fly-by-wire shit goes out the window.  If there were a real yoke and real controls, Boeing-style, the copilots may have been able to recover.
Kinda tough to press a shitload of buttons to scroll through menus in 3 and a half minutes when it's it's dropping in a aero-stall.

ok there Mr Pilot.  :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2011, 11:24:56 PM
ok there Mr Pilot.  :rolleyes:

If it were Air Zimbabwe, you wouldn't give a shit.  Such a homer.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2011, 11:13:32 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is this a fly-by-wire issue?  Losing pitot tubes is disorienting no matter what kind of plane you're flying.  It sounds like the reason the plane crashed is that the pilots got disoriented due to loss of readings and being over the ocean, and crashed the plane through wrong inputs.  I don't see how being in a Boeing would be any safer when this happens.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2011, 11:20:34 PM
I can see why a fighter jet needs it, but why does a commercial jet need fly by wire? :huh:
I would imagine it makes it easier to program autopilot functions.