News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 17, 2011, 01:46:04 PM

Honestly, I think the cuts are also very minor, and the entitlements thing hasn't actually been proposed, just mentioned in passing verbally. The highest number I've seen is 4T over ten years in reductions, with most of that back-loaded to later years (meaning it's unlikely to happen at all). I'm not impressed at all by these cuts. They're paltry.

Maybe I'd be more enthusiastic if you hadn't pointed out the actual budget to me.  :P

I hear what you are saying about whether or not the cuts will materialize if they are backloaded, but practically speaking that is the only way to do it. First, we are in a period of economic downturn, so you don't want to cut too much right now. Second, the government is a huge entity and it takes time to downsize.

$4 trillion isn't chump change. Say in 10 years that is $500 billion a year in cuts (since it is backloaded). I think the projected deficit is a bit over $1 trillion that far out. So we are almost cutting it in half, and a deficit of $500 billion or so isn't going to break us.  Also, this isn't the last time budget cuts can be discussed. If you want to balance the budget, you don't have to do so in the next two weeks before we are supposed to default.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Well, the gauntlet will be thrown tomorrow.

Leader Cantor Statement in Support of Cut, Cap and Balance

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) today issued the following statement regarding the White House's veto threat against the Cut, Cap and Balance Act:

"Tomorrow, the House will vote on Cut, Cap and Balance, a common sense proposal that will cut and cap federal spending to ensure that Washington begins to live within its means and put in place a Constitutional balanced budget amendment that will make balancing our budget the rule, not the exception. No one wants to default on our debt, and that is why House Republicans are bringing forth this plan to meet the President's request for a debt limit increase with the necessary safeguards to make sure that we don't continue to kick the can down the road. With millions of Americans out of work, we need to get the economy growing again and control spending here in Washington, and Cut, Cap and Balance is a path forward to do just that. As President Obama has not put forth a plan that can garner 218 votes in the House, I'd caution him against so hastily dismissing Cut, Cap and Balance."

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 18, 2011, 02:39:19 PM
Cut, Cap and Balance

catchy. right now there are thousands of letters on their way to d.c. crying out "CUT CPA BALLANCE OR WE FIRE U"

mongers

I think slash and burn would be more appropriate description.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

According to a CNN poll 61% of Americans are in favor of a balanced budget amendment.

I wonder if that's the same people who are in favor of reducing the deficit, against touching Social Security, Medicare, or the military.  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

WASHINGTON, D.C. – House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) today issued the following statement regarding the White House's veto threat against the Cut, Cap and Balance Act:

"Tomorrow, the House will vote on Cut, Cap and Balance, a common sense proposal that will cut and cap federal spending to ensure that Washington begins to live within its means and put in place a Constitutional balanced budget amendment   . . . 

Someone please tell me he is kidding.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2011, 05:51:51 PM

"Tomorrow, the House will vote on Cut, Cap and Balance, a common sense proposal that will cut and cap federal spending to ensure that Washington begins to live within its means and put in place a Constitutional balanced budget amendment   . . . 

How does it feel to find out you live in an asylum ?   :P

edit:
well at least in a society, some of whose leaders should be in an asylum ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2011, 05:43:45 PM
According to a CNN poll 61% of Americans are in favor of a balanced budget amendment.

I wonder if that's the same people who are in favor of reducing the deficit, against touching Social Security, Medicare, or the military.  :lol:

Probably.  People like slogans like "Balance the budget!", but when you get down in the details they become less enthusiastic.

I wonder if the "Balanced budget amendment" is going to be the "preserve marriage amendment" of 2012.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2011, 05:51:51 PM

It's been part of the bargaining baseline for some time. You didn't notice?

Neil

But if they don't get their federal cheques, there'll be he'll to pay.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on July 18, 2011, 06:16:14 PM
But if they don't get their federal cheques, there'll be he'll to pay.

If they don't come to some arrangement, there sure as hell better not be any congressmen getting paid.

CountDeMoney

Quote...with the necessary safeguards to make sure that we don't continue to kick the can down the road.

:lol: But you kicked it down the road 7 times between 2000 and 2008;  only back then it was called "housekeeping".

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2011, 06:41:18 PM
Tim Russert with Catkiller Frist, 2006.

Veddy interestink.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/tax-cuts-and-the-debt-ceiling/6r099vn?cpkey=e10461f7-89e1-415c-aa58-80d1b6f8066e|||
No surprises there.  When the republicans had the White House, the principled stand was for increases in the debt ceiling.  When the Democrats have it, the principled stand is against increases in the debt ceiling.  The principle in the Republicans' principled stands is expediency.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

What's surprising is people still buy it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017