And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 11:33:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2011, 12:38:33 PM
Still, you see a lot more people with MLB apparel (caps, mostly - and there Yankees dominate by far) than NFL apparel over here. Teamspotting is a bit of a sport for me on my way to/from work.

Seen any Winnipeg Jets gear yet?  New or old.   :)

No, but I've seen someone read an article in an Austrian hockey paper about the new Jets' logo/branding.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 10, 2011, 01:46:08 AM
Yankees Suck! :nelson:

That's what the Rays keep saying.

But it is hard to hear over the wailing and lamentation coming out of Boston.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

We're not the champions my friend
but we screwed the Red Sox in the end
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Gawd, MLB needs more playoff teams.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 10:29:25 AM

Oh bullshit.  With a 162 game season what they need are less playoff teams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 10:32:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 10:29:25 AM

Oh bullshit.  With a 162 game season what they need are less playoff teams.

Blablabla. 4 team is boring. No rivalry, no excitment. Contraction or more Playoff teams!

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 10:35:13 AM
Blablabla. 4 team is boring. No rivalry, no excitment. Contraction or more Playoff teams!

What do fewer playoff teams have to do with rivalry or excitement?  Hell yesterday was one of the most exciting days in sports I have seen in awhile.  Three legendary games at once.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Sometimes I wonder what teams people in Montana like.  I mean they are near nothing.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2011, 06:30:47 AM
Cards managed to get the Wild Card I'm a bit surprised.

:punk:  Only downer is that Pujols dropped to .299 after last night.  Had he stayed at .300 he would've had .300+ BA in each of his 11 seasons in the MLB.

QuoteThey seem to do better when I'm not watching them.  Probably performance anxiety.

I wrote them off, too.  I deleted the MLB At Bat app from my phone and shifted them over on my ESPN favorite teams so my football, hockey, basketball teams show up first (I tend to do this anyway as seasons end).  But just when I did that, they hit their streak & the Braves imploded. 

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to keep myself from watching them play the Phillies.  So it'll be Phillies in 3 for sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 11:08:45 AM
Sometimes I wonder what teams people in Montana like.  I mean they are near nothing.

I'd imagine Rockies or possibly Mariners.  Or whatever minor league team they have out their way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 11:08:45 AM

From living in Yukon, favourite teams tend to be a mish-mash.  Slight preference for BC / Washington-based teams because in the old days those were the games you'd get on television, but mostly based on your former home town / family roots or what teams were hot when you were a kid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 10:46:55 AM

What do fewer playoff teams have to do with rivalry or excitement?  Hell yesterday was one of the most exciting days in sports I have seen in awhile.  Three legendary games at once.

It creates them. It was exciting for 6 teams in a league of 30? :zzz:

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 11:43:33 AM

Yeah because the last day of the NHL regular season is thrilling for every single team.  So much at stake.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2011, 10:46:55 AM

The season itself is long enough, and 8 playoff teams (don't forget the wild cards) out of 30 is plenty.

edit: Hell, baseball purists are still bitching about having wild card teams in the playoffs, and want to reduce it to 6, with the top NL and AL teams each getting a bye.