And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/14246/we-have-a-new-worst-call-ever

QuoteDid I stay up until 2 a.m. watching the Pirates-Braves game that ended on the most controversial call since Jim Joyce ruined Armando Galarraga's perfect game?

Yes I did.

And it was something.

Twitter exploded immediately, with sympathy coming from across the country for America's team. A Pirates fan who has lived in Italy for 19 years was watching the game and tweeted me in horror. Other Pirates fans called it the worst Pirates loss since the "Sid Bream Game" in 1992. Page 2 writer and Pirates fan DJ Gallo wondered just exactly where home plate umpire Jerry Meals had to go at 2 a.m. Joe Sheehan wrote that baseball is a wonderful game that deserves better than its umpires.

I simply said the call made me sad.

You can watch the video of the play in the bottom of the 19th inning that gave the Braves the 4-3 win. You can see a photo here. And a better one here. People tweeted that they saw a replay that was 100 percent conclusive that catcher Michael McKenry tagged out Julio Lugo (yes, Julio Lugo is still in the majors). Others tweeted that the replay they saw was 100 percent conclusive that the tag was missed.

Pirates pitching coach Ray Searage (at least, it appeared to be him) tweeted back at me, saying, "Deal with it," meaning, I assume, that the team will have to move and not let it affect them. A Pirates beat writer said he'd never seen the Pirates clubhouse so fired up. Sheehan followed up with a great point: Pirates manager Clint Hurdle shouldn't be let off the hook.

Why? He didn't get All-Star closer Joel Hanrahan into the game, instead letting an obviously fatigued Daniel McCutchen throw his 92nd pitch of the game (previous season high: 52). Hanrahan had pitched two days in a row -- but thrown only 25 pitches. And he hadn't pitched in five days before that. Hurdle, of course, was waiting for the save opportunity that never came. Even if Meals had called Lugo out, McCutchen still needed another out to escape the inning anyway.

Like the Joyce call a year ago, the day will be spent arguing about the need for instant replay, instead of admiring a remarkable baseball game that had seen both bullpens combine for 26 scoreless innings, including six from Braves reliever Cristhian Martinez. The debate is necessary, if not fun. You can also debate that baseball should have a rule that rotates the home-plate ump after 12 innings or 500 pitches or whatever. Maybe a fresher set of eyes would have gotten the right call.

Fresh eyes. Mine are tired right now. But I'll be back Wednesday night, watching more baseball, hoping for something remarkable to happen again in this sport we love.

I just hope it has a happier ending.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Syt

It sucks if a ballgame hinges on such a blown call. If it's the final call in the 19th(!) inning . . . well, I hope Jeff Karstens beans the umpires a bit tonight.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Did he touch him. Quality sucks but it doesn't look like he touched him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Umpire had enough of this 19 innings shit. Gotta agree with the guy, no?

Also to me, he missed the tag.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

I didn't see the game, but I was listening to ESPN Radio on the way to work this morning, and they replayed the call by both the Pirates and Braves radio crews.  Even the Braves announcer said he was out.

The Minsky Moment

Sure you can blame the ump, but who let Julio Lugo get safely to third in the first place?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 26, 2011, 12:59:43 AM
16 straight losses for the Mariners! How can they be that bad?

The game two days ago, the Mariners played about as poorly as I have ever seen a major league team play.  Terrible fundamentals, lousy defense, dumb mistakes, and tired and demoralized veterans failing to lead shell-shocked, overmatched noobs.

yesterday they actually played pretty tight; they just couldn't put a bat onto anything Sabathia threw.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Blue Jays with some pretty nice trades today.  Probably not enough to make the post-season but good moves nonetheless.

Valmy

Baltimore:
Last in ERA
Last in WHIP
Last in Batting Average Allowed
Last in Quality Stats
Last in Home Runs Allowed

What a team!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I went to Cooperstown yesterday. The museum was enjoyable, but I thought it could have been better.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 01, 2011, 02:03:57 PM
I went to Cooperstown yesterday. The museum was enjoyable, but I thought it could have been better.

It would be better if the ghost of Babe Ruth greeted you as you walk in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I'm probably missing a few things because this is off of memory, but aside from sections on the general history of baseball, the hall of fame itself, and records/memorabilia/stadiums, these were the exhibits:

1) the women's baseball league of WWII (I really thought this was made up in the movie)
2) baseball vs. cricket
3) Babe Ruth
4) Negro Leagues
5) Latin American players
6) The Yankees

Considering Ruth was a major part of the Yankee section, the history of the game, and the records section plus then had his own section, if his ghost was also there it might be too much Ruth.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2011, 07:57:50 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 01, 2011, 02:03:57 PM

It would be better if the ghost of Babe Ruth greeted you as you walk in.

It needs Hank Aaron XXIV to greeat you. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.