And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 21, 2011, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 11:02:07 PM
:P  I accept the sacrament of Notre Dame football as grace in the union of Christ, Holy Mother Church, and NCAA Division 1.

You, on the other hand, root for the football equivalent of speaking-in-tongues, snake handling Baptist healers.  Ptooey.

What sucks is that ND and Texas, while being friendly with each other, which is fine, are also apparently all buddy buddy with the Mormons, which is not fine.

Nobody gives a shit about golden plates hidden with the Sioux if you get 500 yards of offense a game.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2011, 11:10:47 PM
Well shoot, if TCU can join the Big East why not WVU in the Big 12. Not like a few extra hours in a plane every other week will kill them.

I wonder if the Big XII would go after Louisville if WVU joined.  My eye is twitching.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 11:11:25 PM
Nobody gives a shit about golden plates hidden with the Sioux if you get 500 yards of offense a game.

:lol:

Dude!  Maybe you can tell me:  Is it the Mormons or the Scientologists who receive planets as part of their eternal reward or whatever? 

Or is it both?  I had thought it was the Xenu guys, and it really seems like a more "Scientology" type thing, but when the Horns were playing BYU, some people were talking about planets being handed out and I got confused.  :(

CountDeMoney

Pretty sure that's the Scientologists.  And, to make matters worse, they can't even run the option.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 11:15:28 PM
Pretty sure that's the Scientologists.  And, to make matters worse, they can't even run the option.

Okay that makes sense.  Or at least...well....it makes sense that it's the Scientologists.  I don't know, maybe they were saying something about Harsin and I just missed some posts or something.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 21, 2011, 11:13:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 11:11:25 PM

:lol:

Dude!  Maybe you can tell me:  Is it the Mormons or the Scientologists who receive planets as part of their eternal reward or whatever? 

Or is it both?  I had thought it was the Xenu guys, and it really seems like a more "Scientology" type thing, but when the Horns were playing BYU, some people were talking about planets being handed out and I got confused.  :(
Don't Mormons ascend to Godhood after they die? Maybe planets come with that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 21, 2011, 11:04:50 PM
There are twitter rumblings that WVU is talking seriously to the Big 12.

I hope that that's only in order to scare the SEC into taking them, otherwise it doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Nobody's going to scare the SEC into taking anybody.  They don't need anybody, especially a middling program like WVU.

Beyond the fact that the SEC doesn't need to add anybody (though, yeah, it probably would be nice to have an even number of teams), trying to give yourself leverage by threatening to join the Big 12 at this point is like going up to some guy on the street, pulling a gun, putting it against your own head, and telling him that if he doesn't hand over his wallet, you're going to pull the trigger.

MadBurgerMaker

Fake Dan Beebe is completely melting down.   All caps started an hour ago.

QuoteBAYLOR, YOU ARE A HORRIBLE LITTLE PUNK OF A SCHOOL WHO'S ONE CONGRESSMAN'S HEART ATTACK AWAY FROM BEING FORCED INTO D-II

COLORADO, I NEVER CARED ABOUT YOU AT ALL

IOWA STATE, HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A DRAIN ON THE CONFERENCE AND ON MY SANITY. YOU ARE WORTHLESS. EVERYONE IS FLEEING YOU.

KANSAS, IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE BIG EAST BY ALL DAMN MEANS DO SO, THEY LOVE SCHOOLS WITH GOOD BASKETBALL AND NO FOOTBALL PROGRAM WHATSOEVER

KANSAS STATE YOU ARE WORSE THAN KANSAS AT EVERYTHING, LITERALLY EVERYTHING

NEBRASKA YOU WOULD BE HAPPIER IN PRESCHOOL WHERE NOBODY HAS TO REALIZE THAT THEY'RE NOT SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKES THAT DESERVE CONSTANT HUGS

I HAVE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER THAN THE DAY NEBRASKA WEASELED OUT OF THE BIG 12 SO THEY COULD LET JIM DELANY TELL THEM HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE

TAYLOR MARTINEZ IS AIDS ON TWO FEET

OKLAHOMA, WHAT GALAXY DO YOU LIVE IN AND WHY CAN'T YOU GO PLAY SPORTS THERE INSTEAD. YOU ARE MORE OVERRATED THAN TAYLOR SWIFT'S AWFUL FACE

NOBODY CARES WHAT T. BOONE PICKENS HAS TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING. OKLAHOMA STATE IS KANSAS STATE BUT FURTHER SOUTH IS ALL

TEXAS TECH YOU LISTENED TO THAT HOOKER-SLAUGHTERING CRETIN CRAIG JAMES OVER MIKE LEACH AND FOR THAT I HOPE THE EARTH SWALLOWS YOUR CAMPUS

TEXAS A&M, YOU ARE NEVER WINNING A TITLE IN THE SEC, NOT EVEN ONCE, AND AT LEAST 80% OF YOUR STUDENT BODY IS WEIRD

I MEAN TEXAS A&M STUDENTS ARE THE KIND OF WEIRD WHERE YOU DON'T LEAVE THEM IN THE SAME ROOM AS HOUSE PETS UNATTENDED

TEXAS A&M YELL LEADERS ARE BECAUSE AGGIE IS SCARED OF WOMEN SO CONGRATULATIONS FOR BRINGING SAUDI ARABIAN CULTURE TO AMERICA YOU INBREDS

RICK PERRY IS AN AGGIE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW IS HE EVEN ALLOWED TO LIVE ALONE AND CUT HIS OWN MEAT MUCH LESS RUN FOR PRESIDENT

I WAS TRYING TO GO MOSTLY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER BUT I FORGOT MISSOURI. IMAGINE THAT, SOMEONE FORGETTING ABOUT MISSOURI

MISSOURI THROWS MORE PANTIES THAN THE CROWD OF 8TH GRADERS AT A JONAS BROTHERS CONCERT AND YET NOBODY EVER PICKS THEM UP

AND TEXAS.

GOOD OLD TEXAS.

HEY DELOSS. FUCK TEXAS AND FUCK YOU.

I DID EVERYTHING IN MY EARTHLY POWERS TO MAKE SURE YOU WERE THE MOST WELL CARED FOR SCHOOL IN NCAA HISTORY, AND FOR WHAT

WHEN IT ALL WENT DOWN YOU WERE RIGHT THERE AT THE FRONT LINE WAITING TO ABANDON ME JUST LIKE THE REST OF THESE INGRATES

OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS A&M I CAN UNDERSTAND BECAUSE THEY'RE HORRIBLE LITTLE STEPCHILDREN, BUT YOU, TEXAS? YOU?

I WAS READY TO NAME MY TESTICLES HOOKEM AND HORNS FOR YOU AND MAKE "TEXAS WITH A DOLLAR SIGN" THE NEW BIG 12 REALITY

I HOPE A CLOUD OF PURE DIARRHEA OPENS UP OVER DKR AND FILLS THAT PLACE TO THE BRIM DURING YOUR NEXT GAME

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE BURNT ORANGE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. IT LOOKS LIKE BABY POOP

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR EYES. YOU STOLE THAT SONG FROM A CHILDRENS SONG RT @chisoxfan30: @DanBeebe the eyes of Texas are upon you. #hookem

YOU HAVE TO SING YOUR FIGHT SONG ALONG TO "I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE RAILROAD" AND YOU EXPECT ANYBODY TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE CITY OF AUSTIN DID TO DESERVE HAVING SUCH A HORRIBLE BUNCH OF HYPER-PRIVILEGED BRATS OVERTAKE IT BUT IT CAN'T BE GOOD

CAN WE NUKE AUSTIN? IS THAT APPROPRIATE? IT'S PROBABLY APPROPRIATE

I'M OUT. I'M NEVER COMMISSIONERING ANOTHER CONFERENCE EVER AGAIN. COLLEGE SPORTS ARE TO COLLEGE WHAT GENITAL WARTS ARE TO GENITALS

:D

Edit: Oh it looks like I missed some scrolling through fucking twitter posts.  Something about Pelini murdering and eating someone, Osborne being dead, Texas being horrible brats, etc. Oh well. It's all here: http://twitter.com/#!/DanBeebe

The real Dan Beebe is officially gone, btw:  http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15624610/report-dan-beebe-out-as-big-12-commissioner

Neil

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 21, 2011, 11:13:46 PM
Mormons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

QuoteDanBeebe Fake Dan Beebe
I HOPE A CLOUD OF PURE DIARRHEA OPENS UP OVER DKR AND FILLS THAT PLACE TO THE BRIM DURING YOUR NEXT GAME

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

So, if this happens will the Big 12 keep lurching on zombie like with 8 members or will there be another round of Pac-16 drama?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/22/3161027/sec-still-in-sights-for-missouri.html#ixzz1YkGjYNug

QuoteSEC still in sights for Missouri as Big 12 tries to unify
By MIKE DEARMOND
Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA | The fractured Big 12 Conference attempted to join hands and unify Thursday night, but Missouri's grip may not be as tight.

Not only did MU chancellor Brady Deaton and athletic director Mike Alden decline to confirm the university's commitment in the long or short term to the Big 12, the Tigers' interest in the Southeastern Conference is very much alive.

"We either stick in the Big 12 because everything came about the way it needs to, the right way, with all the differences being settled in Missouri's favor," a university administrator who asked not to be identified told The Star on Thursday night. "But what are the odds of that happening?

"The other option is to join another conference and I believe that is something that we're very open to."

The Star first reported earlier this week that Missouri had an informal offer from the Southeastern Conference to join should the Big 12 not remain a viable home.

In a brief news conference in a first-floor room at Jesse Hall on Thursday night, Deaton said that as chairman of the Big 12 Board of Directors he was intent on making needed changes to the conference. But Deaton stressed he was first responsible to the University of Missouri.

When asked if falling short of those changes that Missouri might exit the Big 12, Deaton said:

"That's again a hypothetical that could occur. In a sense anything is possible. That's all recognized and that's what has led to the discussions that we've had over the last several weeks."

When asked about the SEC, Deaton said that was another hypothetical and he wouldn't elaborate further.

Asked if the SEC was still in play, the administrator, who contacted The Star, said: "You will not look stupid by insinuating that."

The mood in Columbia contrasted starkly with a news conference held around the same time by Oklahoma president David Boren, athletic director Joe Castiglione, football coach Bob Stoops and other officials in Norman. There, Boren detailed the desire to reach agreement on all nine schools granting their first- and second-tier TV rights to the Big 12 for a six-year period and stated there was conference-wide unity in that effort.

Under the plan, each school's revenue for its games broadcast on ABC/ESPN, the Big 12's first-tier TV rights holder, and Fox Sports Net, the second-tier rights holder, would go to the Big 12 for equal distribution.

"These are very strong handcuffs," Boren said. "When you grant your rights it's very unlikely you would receive an invitation to another conference."

Deaton also acknowledged the board was pursuing revenue sharing and also said an expansion committee was reactivated, a move that opens the way for what would be a nine-member conference next school year to add members, perhaps up to a restoration of 12 teams.

"As chair," he said, "I was asked to form a special working group to address a variety of other issues to further strengthen conference stability."

Deaton was asked why fans should believe the Big 12 could unify after the departures of Nebraska and Colorado last year, Texas A&M next year, and with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas and Missouri speculated for possible departure to other conferences.

"We know there're a number of specific issues to be addressed," Deaton said, "and I think the public generally is aware of what a number of those are.

"Be assured that there will be a working group immediately set in motion to address that range of issues."

Deaton would not respond to a question about what concessions the University of Texas may or may not make in the areas of revenue sharing. Texas' $247 million Longhorn Network venture with ESPN falls under third-tier rights, which are not shared, and has caused concern among coaches because it planned to show high school football games.

Asked again if Deaton was prepared to make a statement that Missouri would remain in the Big 12 for the foreseeable future, Deaton said:

"The University of Missouri is going to continue to work for what is best for the University of Missouri. "We have seen that aligned with the Big 12 Conference."

The Missouri administrator who asked not to be identified told The Star that Deaton's statement should be construed as less than an unconditional commitment to the Big 12 at this time.

As Deaton left the room MU athletic director Mike Alden took questions in the hall of the school's administration building for a little over seven minutes.

Hit right away with the question of whether or not Missouri was committed long term to staying in the Big 12, Alden said he would not attempt to speak for Deaton.

On Wednesday, in an interview on KFNS radio in St. Louis, Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel criticized the Big 12 for not fixing the problems that have thrown the league's viability into question for the last year and a half.

"In my opinion, it's going to go on and on and on and it's not a whole lot of fun to be part of it," Pinkel said, adding that the situation was "embarrassing."

Alden also addressed Missouri and other schools in the Big 12 having spoken to other conferences.

"Over the course of the last several months, or month ... people were calling people all over the country ... "It's almost like recruiting. If you're a pretty good student athlete, people kind of know who you are ... For us, like Brady said and probably everybody else in the country, the issue there was just talking to people and getting pulses on things."

Posted on Thu, Sep. 22, 2011 10:53 PM

1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

A very interesting, but VERY long article from The Atlantic:

The Shame of the NCAA

PDH

Nebraska comes into Laramie today to stomp the Cowboys - hopefully I can gloat about a 2nd quarter lead again.

Funny thing is, after flying in to Cheyenne and driving 45 miles over mountains to get to Laramie, the Huskers seems to think this is an isolated nowhere.  There are 35,000 people here!  Isolated?  Sheesh.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Why does Maryland have such ugly uniforms?  Also, why do they play teams that are so much better than they are?  Wouldn't NCAA football be a lot better if the teams were put in divisions based on their relative skill and then play within those divisions?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.