News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Guess I fucked up those spoiler tags. :lol:

What do you mean, what ghosts?  The five hundred dead MRFs that populated the cast of American Horror Story.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Something I've noticed is that Looper's started making people's end of the year best-of lists.  Ugh, why?  Did Millennium top people's lists for 1989?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2013, 02:10:09 AM

What do you mean, what ghosts?  The five hundred dead MRFs that populated the cast of American Horror Story.

In the first season. I don't recall a single ghost in the second season.  :huh:

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on January 11, 2013, 02:21:43 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2013, 02:10:09 AM

In the first season. I don't recall a single ghost in the second season.  :huh:

Ohhh.  I thought you were still watching the first season on Netflix or whatever, and that's the last they have available.  I haven't seen minute one of the second, although when I can do so for free (or, you know, for the price of my subscription to not-television), I shall.  My bad.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

I'm watching the second season for free.  :secret:

Tamas

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Well, I'm watching them on a website that just streams all current shows. So I am not downloading or sharing any files. :P

Poland ftw.  :cool:

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on January 11, 2013, 04:39:54 AM
Well, I'm watching them on a website that just streams all current shows.

Lettuce will ridicule you for it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 11, 2013, 04:39:54 AM
Well, I'm watching them on a website that just streams all current shows. So I am not downloading or sharing any files. :P

Poland ftw.  :cool:

good luck with all the malware

Josephus

I don't think Hannibal was interested in Clara for her pussy so much. I think he had this obsession with her from the get go, and wanted to collect her like a pet. At least that was the interpretation I got. They probably did have sex, but I don't think it was Hannibal's main preocupation.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on January 11, 2013, 08:33:49 AM
I don't think Hannibal was interested in Clara for her pussy so much. I think he had this obsession with her from the get go, and wanted to collect her like a pet. At least that was the interpretation I got. They probably did have sex, but I don't think it was Hannibal's main preocupation.

Nope, sexuality was never one of primary Lecter's drivers.  But the desire for a companion, one who shares his appreciation of aesthetics, I felt was more important to him.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 11, 2013, 12:30:54 AM
and I recall Red Dragon to be really pretty decent, which is why it shocked me when I looked it up and it turned out Brett Ratner directed it.  I assume Manhunter is great, as it was done by Michael Mann, whom it turns out I'm actually a rather big fan of without having known it (before I cared about who made movies, there was still Last of the Mohicans, Heat, and Collateral).

Meh, didn't finish Red Dragon as it was terribly cookie-cutter from Manhunter, and Manhunter did so many scenes better.
Both fucked up the novel's ending, though.  In the novel, [spoiler]Will Graham's character is totally fucked up when Dolarhyde goes after his family.[/spoiler]

But Manhunter is a fantastic story and production on its own, and all the cast is better as well, including a young Stephen Lang. 

Brian Cox's Lecter gets short shrift compared to Anthony Hopkins, but it's also not fair to him, as he's only in a few scenes and not nearly as developed as a character.  But Cox chews up his scenes, particularly the main scene when Graham goes back to meet him in prison.  YOU WANT THE SCENT? SMELL YOURSELF

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 10, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Also the Ciaphus Cane Warhammer 40k books.
Except he actually grows over time into the hero that people think he is, while internally still believing himself to be a coward.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2013, 10:09:45 PM

On the other hand, while our rapine should have limits, the natural world, in a sense, must be treated as an object without agency or rights of its own, because the alternative is to be eaten by tyrannosaurs, or even scarier things.  For example, that fucking centipede that chomps its fangs and puts its feelers in Ann Darrow's MOUTH in the hollowed-out log?  YOU CAN TREAT THAT AS AN OBJECT.  AN OBJECT OF NIGHTMARES. FUCK.

Anyway, I liked that aspect of the movie a lot.

I thought the giant worms with teeth were a lot freakier.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point