News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on October 13, 2022, 08:20:21 PMLower deck continues the trend of having great one liners. "The horsey's go into bite you now" shouldn't be as funny as it is, but it works.

Is "go into bite you" Hillary's phone, or is that the joke?

HVC

Half typo half auto corrected  :blush:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Finished S2 of Ted Lasso. Still enjoying it, but it gets maybe a bit too sweet/nice at times? Though I do want to see Nate getting redeemed. He became pretty unlikable this season (which was obviously the point). Gotta praise the show for their selection of music, though; will see if there's a playlist on Spotify (probably - most shows have someone creating a playlist based on them); otherwise I might look the songs up and create one. :)

Watched Episode 1 of Mythic Quest. Nice cast of characters - Rob McElhenny, David Hornsby, F. Murray Abraham, Billy Pudi, Ashly Burch, Jessi Ennis (who I last saw on Veep and Better Call Saul) ... it's not getting crazy good reviews, but I thought it was funny enough. Doesn't feel "realistic" as a portrayal of how games companies work, but it still had enough recognizable bits/references. (Including using footage from AssCreed Odyssey/Origin and For Honor - apparently UbiSoft helped with representing the fictional game for the show.)

Not exactly groundbreaking (mostly another in a long tradition of workplace comedies), but decent enough for a pilot and I'll keep watching it. I paused to read the chat of the PewDiePie Pootie Shoe streamer kid, and that at least seemed pretty on point - though with a lot less profanity/memes/emotes than you'd normally see :P Though the "if you give players creative options in games they'll mostly make dicks" observation was ... yeah, can't argue with that one. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

P.S.: re Ted Lasso. The lowest rated episode on IMDB is Beard After Hours where we follow Beard's odyssey through the nightlife following their FA Cup loss against ManCity at Wembley. It surprised me, because I thought it was a pretty good episode, even if it was mostly a sequence of shenanigans and hijinks; I thought it did a lot for Beard's character, looking behind his stoic facade and his internal struggles, laced in an amount of surreal weirdness that felt very appropriate to him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2022, 06:19:57 AMP.S.: re Ted Lasso. The lowest rated episode on IMDB is Beard After Hours where we follow Beard's odyssey through the nightlife following their FA Cup loss against ManCity at Wembley. It surprised me, because I thought it was a pretty good episode, even if it was mostly a sequence of shenanigans and hijinks; I thought it did a lot for Beard's character, looking behind his stoic facade and his internal struggles, laced in an amount of surreal weirdness that felt very appropriate to him.

IIRC the guy who plays Coach Beard is actually the show's co-creator together with Jason Sudeikis (he was already part of the original NBC spots in which the characters debuted) and is part of the writing team for the show. I think I read somewhere that that particular episode was written so he'd have one episode in which Beard was the main focus, rather than a background presence.

Syt

Which makes a lot of sense, and I loved it for that - he might be my favorite character together with Roy Kent (Brett Goldtsein also writing for and being a producer on the show). I was just puzzled that it's rated by (IMDB) viewers so low - most episodes are above 8, with the occasional high 7 point something; this episode sits in the mid 6 point something.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2022, 03:52:05 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 12, 2022, 07:23:52 AMLatin is metal

We have latin nerds here I think? How true is it? I guess they're being generous.
Yes that is accurate.

Certe!
Instead of Disco, it could have been Studeo cf. studio but that's about it.
Inferni is a plural noun so Disco Inferno does not work that well.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2022, 06:59:08 AMWhich makes a lot of sense, and I loved it for that - he might be my favorite character together with Roy Kent (Brett Goldtsein also writing for and being a producer on the show). I was just puzzled that it's rated by (IMDB) viewers so low - most episodes are above 8, with the occasional high 7 point something; this episode sits in the mid 6 point something.

It might be because it has almost nothing to do with the main plot of the show and is a one-off kinda surreal episode. A mild case of tone whiplash.

Darth Wagtaros

Saw the first episode of Star Girl.  I used to read the comics, and I like the JSA.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2022, 07:29:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2022, 06:59:08 AMWhich makes a lot of sense, and I loved it for that - he might be my favorite character together with Roy Kent (Brett Goldtsein also writing for and being a producer on the show). I was just puzzled that it's rated by (IMDB) viewers so low - most episodes are above 8, with the occasional high 7 point something; this episode sits in the mid 6 point something.

It might be because it has almost nothing to do with the main plot of the show and is a one-off kinda surreal episode. A mild case of tone whiplash.

Yes. I remember its timing came after kind of a cliff hanger in the ep before too?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

A remake of The Naked Gun has been announced! I don't know wether to  :w00t: or  :bleeding:

The Lonely Island's Akiva Schaffer will be the director, and the star of the film will be... Liam Neeson.  :ph34r:

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2022, 06:19:57 AMP.S.: re Ted Lasso. The lowest rated episode on IMDB is Beard After Hours where we follow Beard's odyssey through the nightlife following their FA Cup loss against ManCity at Wembley. It surprised me, because I thought it was a pretty good episode, even if it was mostly a sequence of shenanigans and hijinks; I thought it did a lot for Beard's character, looking behind his stoic facade and his internal struggles, laced in an amount of surreal weirdness that felt very appropriate to him.

Wow. Really? I thought that was a very interesting episode.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

New series of taskmaster continues to amuse.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

The Woman King - absolute banger of a film.

Viola Davis is incredible. Which I expected but she's still really good at just owning this entire film, and I think it's Boyega's best role, but everyone is great.

Also I love a big historical action epic - and, as wtih Nope, I think I'm just glad to enjoy some big, mainstream action-y films that aren't part of the MCU with their formula (though obviously I think Nope was less predictable than Woman King) and to see a bit more films with a bit of peril again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

So: Futurama.

Last few months I've been watching Futurama before bed with my kids.  They're old enough to enjoy it, even if some of the sci-fi references go over their heads.

I was curious what they would think of the episode "Jurassic Bark".  It's notorious - Fry finds his long-ago fossilized dog, Seymour.  There's some action in the present (31st century) about cloning the dog, intermixed with flashbacks to the past about what happened to Seymour after Fry was frozen.  At the end Fry finds out Seymour was fossilized as an old dog, and he says 'don't bring him back, he had a long life and probably forgot about me'.  Cut to the ending sequence, which sees Seymour just sitting outside the pizza parlor for years and years waiting for Fry who obviously never came.

Anyways, afterwards I asked the boys what they thought and they said "they felt sad for the dog".

A few weeks later we make it to the Futurama DVD shows - made specifically to be released on DVD, but also cut up so they could be syndicated as 22 minute episodes as well.  The first one was "Bender's Big Score".

I don't know that they are the greatest Futurama episodes ever.  It involves a lot of time-travel shenanigans that Futurama is mostly smart enough to leave enough alone.  But anyways it involves multiple copies of Fry travelling back to the past.  One time-travel copy of Fry then lives above the pizza parlor for several years.

Anyways, it's a tiny detail, but Seymour the dog is there in the "future", with time-travel copy Fry giving him scratches.  It's not at all a plot point, just a minor detail thrown in.

Afterwards middle kid Andrew's eyes were in near tears.  He was just happy Seymour the dog got to see Fry again.

:cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.