News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

The Purge: Anarchy. Once again it's time to hunker down and weather purge night. The movie is OK. Though I feel that for a change of pace they should do at least one movie in the series that focuses on all the white collar crime taking place on purge night.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2020, 09:20:59 AM
The Queen's gambit is a weird limited series in the parlance of Netflix. They seems to have changed what they meant.

Before QG, a limited series on Netflix meant a regular series that was cancelled after either a couple of episodes or one full run. Around here, it's the international series bought from european services.

No. A limited series always meant one that was only intended to run for one season
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Fantastic Planet(1973).  This is a pretty groovy way to spend 70 minutes even if you haven't dropped as much acid as the creators. Animated in the cutout style familiar to Monty Python fans, this tells of a world where giant blue fishmen keep humans as pets. Funky score.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 08:06:01 PM
- it's been fully adopted into British (and Irish) names.
Yeah, you guys keep stealing the best of France.  Never stopped since Guillaume went over there to impose order on the Saxon rabble :P  :D

QuoteI've never heard of a real person called Gil/Gilles/Giles - just poshos on TV :P
Ah, here, it's quite common for men of my dad's age (70s), much less common for those in my generation, practically non existent for the generation after.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 04:01:16 AM
The Crown isn't a miniseries. It's a series.

A series is planned ahead for the future.  It may not happen if ratings are poor, but it's planned in the beginning for multiple episodes.  A mini-series would tell a story contained in itself, in a short run, longer than a movie, less than half a season (13hrs with ads, give or take).

North & South book 1 is 6 episodes and it's a mini-series.  North & South book 2 is another mini-series even if it's mostly the same characters, like the Crown.

Cardinal is 6 episodes, and each seasons are semi independant from one another, but it's still a series.

Vikings season 1 was 9 episodes, not much more than N&S, but it's a series, it was planned ahead for multiple seasons to begin with.

That's my understanding of things.

Since I have no interest in watching The Crown ( ;) ), I can't tell you what it is.  I'm leaning toward a series since it seems obvious they wanted to tell the whole story of the current British royal family from Elizabeth's beginnings to the current events.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2020, 10:16:35 PM
Since I have no interest in watching The Crown ( ;) ), I can't tell you what it is.  I'm leaning toward a series since it seems obvious they wanted to tell the whole story of the current British royal family from Elizabeth's beginnings to the current events.

Don't you mean the Canadian royal family? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Final Girl. Bjorn Ironside leads a group of psychos who hunt women for sport, but one night the hunter becomes the huntee. Not great, but I've seen worse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Admiral Yi

It's Prince Charles who is getting the hatchet, not Diana.  What a jug eared mook.

Eddie Teach

Desperately Seeking Susan. One of those wacky 80s movies about a case of mistaken identity. Pretty fun.

Tonitrus

Lost in Space: Season 2

The writers managed to go from having all the kids as mostly good characters and not annoying, to now all being stupid and super annoying.

Syt

On season 2 of Brooklyn 99. Really enjoying the show and the characters (it's a rare comedy show that has no characters I dislike). It's easy to binge. Terry Crews is a treasure. :wub: And Diaz is hot.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Lost in Space: Season 2

The writers managed to go from having all the kids as mostly good characters and not annoying, to now all being stupid and super annoying.

yeah, I didn't get past episode 2 of season 2.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 01:29:25 PM
On season 2 of Brooklyn 99. Really enjoying the show and the characters (it's a rare comedy show that has no characters I dislike). It's easy to binge. Terry Crews is a treasure. :wub: And Diaz is hot.  :blush:

It's really a great show. I love the Halloween episodes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 01:29:25 PM

Brooklyn 99 is great.  I rather disliked the Gina Linetti character, but that's a minor complaint (and she eventually leaves the show).

What I find interesting about the show is it is extremely "woke" but doesn't come across as preachy and annoying because of it.

And if you like Brooklyn 99 let me again recommend The Good Place, which was also written and developed by Michael Schur.  Several of the actors for secondary characters also show up in TGP (the guy who plays Kevin, and the guy who plays Pimento).

And this also reminds me I really should watch Parks and Rec, which Schur also wrote for.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.