Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Maybe he married a woman with multiple aliases :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Tempted to rewatch The Usual Suspects, since it used to be one of my favorite movies in the 90s, but I'm afraid it won't hold up... I'd hate to destroy a good memory  :P

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2016, 12:24:09 PM
Tempted to rewatch The Usual Suspects, since it used to be one of my favorite movies in the 90s, but I'm afraid it won't hold up... I'd hate to destroy a good memory  :P

I think it holds up pretty well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2016, 12:24:09 PM

I don't enjoy it as much now as I did in the 90s, but I still like watching it on occasion.  So yeah, I'd say if you think it is a brilliant movie you'll probably be disappointed, but it is a good movie.

Valmy

It is one of those films that it is hard to recreate your first viewing.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 12:31:19 PM
It is one of those films that it is hard to recreate your first viewing.

I got the ending semi-spoiled before watching it actually... still loved the film. It came out just when I was starting film school so it left quite the impression. The pacing, dialogue, and the whole Keyser Soze mythos just seemed awesome. I'm happy to see McQuarrie doing well nowadays after spending a decade in the Hollywood doghouse.

I will give it a go, might try to rope in the GF since she loves crime stuff.

Valmy

It did raise a key question that never got resolved: do notorious Hungarian crime lords actually exist?

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2016, 12:53:31 PM
It did raise a key question that never got resolved: do notorious Hungarian crime lords actually exist?

Söze is said to be Turkish, though. He has a vendetta against the Hungarian mafia - if that thing exists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2016, 12:59:24 PM
Söze is said to be Turkish, though. He has a vendetta against the Hungarian mafia - if that thing exists.

In Hungary they are called "cabinet ministers"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Atlantis (1913)

Danish film and a good example of a big budget film before the impact of DW Griffith's work.  Dr. von Kammacher's wife develops a mental disorder.  After she is institutionalized he tries to get some rest first in Berlin; where he meets a dancer, Ingigerd.  He's interested, but she has a lot of admirers and he gives up.  He decides to go to New York on The Roland, and one night dreams about Atlantis.  Then The Roland strikes an unseen object and sinks.  Dr. von Kammacher escapes, and rescues Ingigerd, (who was also on the ship.)  Ingigerd is too shocked to continue her career, and Dr. von Kammacher tries to start a life with her in New York, but she is too frivolous for that.  He makes friends among the art scene in New York where he meets a kind sculptress named Eva.  Then Dr. von Kammacher goes to a mountain retreat where he hopes to find solace, but instead starts hallucinating.  Then he learns that his wife died and falls critically ill.  Then Eva comes, nurses him back to health and they decide to marry.

What should be the climax of the film; the ship sinking, is glossed over (in fact a music hall act by a man with no arms occupies about as much screen time as the ship sinking and rescue.)  There's way too many subplots and the film drags on far too long.  It's a film before the language of film was established.  Within the next two years Cabiria and Birth of a Nation would be released and change movies into something we would recognize.

The movie was released a year after The Titanic sank.  Norwegian (:uffda:) film censors banned the film for making entertainment out of tragedy, but it was actually based on a book written before the Titanic sank.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

BAKE OFF!!!!! :w00t:

Also the Chronicles of Nadiya!!! :w00t: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I've been watching The Perils of Pauline (1914) on a dubious Youtube print.  The premise is that Pauline is an heiress, but the guardian of her trust is a man of low character who stands to inherit her fortune should she die.  So every week he plots a new way to kill her, and every week he fails due to Pauline's spunk (:perv:) and her fiancé's heroism.  The guardian of her trust's task is made easier because Pauline has decided to live a life of adventure and excitement, so she's constantly doing dangerous stunts racing automobiles or flying in airplanes or the like.

One week she decides to take some rest out west, then she's kidnapped by outlaws and thrown down into a cave.  She escapes by clawing through the dirt right in front of a band of Sioux Indians.  They take her to be the white girl who will lead them to victory; but to be certain they will put her through the trial of the stone of death in order to prove her immortal strength.

Or at least that's what I think the original title card of the film was supposed to say.  In the version I saw the Sioux wanted her to prove her immoral strength.  I'm not at all sure how one would prove that; perhaps by qualifying for the Russian weightlifting team.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock