News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I know. Just how dirty and ugly do they expect us to believe Baltimore is?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2016, 05:07:35 PM
I can dig that Danes would have a problem.  There's an 80s movie called The Philadelphia Experiment (shitty time travel flick) based on the conspiracy theory surrounding the USS Eldridge, allegedly utilized in anti-radar experiments during WWII which wound up turning it invisible.  (The stories are likely based on ordinary degaussing and maintenance, but anyway.)  The film, which was rather cheap, strikes out for a coup by using Patriots Point in Charleston, SC, as a Pennsylvania naval base.  Insofar as I have been to Patriots Point and surrounding locations in Charleston (but unlike LA and Vancouver residents, I'm not immunized to the effect), it took me right the fuck out of the movie.

It doesn't help that in a relatively long take, you can clearly see the jet on the USS Yorktown, squatting on the deck in the background.  Nor does it help that The Philadelphia Experiment sucks in many other ways.
finally, a movie we both saw and can agree on the review.   :hug:

wasn't there a remake, or a #2 also done?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

There was, and it was even worse.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 08:42:57 PM
Mostly movies actually, can't really think of shows now that you mention it. Note that some of those might have been shot in Vancouver and not Toronto, I won't presume to be able to tell the difference  :hmm:
Many tv shows are shot in Vancouver.  Sometimes, I have a feeling they always shoot in the same forrest.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 08:18:45 PM
Ever since living in New York, all those "Toronto as NYC" flicks/shows stick out as a sore thumb. I probably couldn't have told the difference before that.
Never been to the americas but the big one that sticks out to me has always been Rumble in the Bronx.
Filmed in Vancouver iirc?
Who knew NYC had a wonderful mountain backdrop
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I was unaware that there was a 13 episode Wing Commander Academy cartoon show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

:lol:

It even has Mark Hamill as Maverick, Malcolm McDowell as Tolwyn, and Thomas Wilson as Maniac. :nerd:

Though I guess that means Luke finally made it to the Academy. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Syt

You've never played Wing Commander III or IV, have you?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2016, 02:37:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 08:42:57 PM
Mostly movies actually, can't really think of shows now that you mention it. Note that some of those might have been shot in Vancouver and not Toronto, I won't presume to be able to tell the difference  :hmm:
Many tv shows are shot in Vancouver.  Sometimes, I have a feeling they always shoot in the same forrest.

Are you rewatching X-Files? ;)
Because that's the impression I get from rewatching it. Of course, when they try something different, such as a New Mexico quarry shot in the outskirts of Vancouver, it's less convincing, the crude, early CGI not helping, since it was composited on NTSC, not film AFAIK. Very dramatic difference on blu-ray for those interested cf. Anasazi.

celedhring

X-Files was one of the earliest big profile shows to shoot in Vancouver IIRC.

The US probably needs to thank Canada for prompting the "tax credit race"  between US states to bring filming costs down.

Josquius

I have often watched a show and thought "hey. Isnt this bit of slightly hilly forest also used in another show" :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Exactly, X-Files was the show which put Vancouver on the map back then, in the 90's.

Tonitrus

Watching "The Wild Bunch".

Probably one of the most overrated movies I've seen in a while.  It's pretty terrible.