News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2016, 08:58:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 28, 2016, 08:56:03 PM
http://play.hbogo.com/

Please explain how this works.  Do you have to pay extra?

If you are a subscriber to HBO on your cable network it is free. For cord cutters they have HBOnow which costs monthly fee. But catch is if don't have Chromecast or other streaming you will have to watch on computer/laptop.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Many graces men of horse.

The Brain

Watched 90210, and there was a lesbian crush reveal! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Documentary on National Lampoon.  Animal House evolved out of an idea to put the Manson cult in high school.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 29, 2016, 07:06:33 AM

Tori Spelling had a crush on Shannon Doherty?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2016, 08:53:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 28, 2016, 08:47:12 PM
Watched Breaking Bad again. What a superb show even on the second run through.

I thought the first season episodes I caught were kind of draggy but really enjoyed the second season episodes I caught.

The nice looking junkie squeeze probably helped.

When is someone going to start re-airing The Wire?

Considering the whole series the first season is more of a set up for the follow on season.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2016, 04:47:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 29, 2016, 07:06:33 AM

Tori Spelling had a crush on Shannon Doherty?

No it was a non-dinosaur.

Josephus

Gonna watch Everest, the movie based on the disastrous 1996 climb. Ever since I read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, based on this climb, I always wanted to climb Everest. But given that A) I hate the cold and B) I huff and puff after climbing two flights of stairs and C) I'm almost 50---this ain't likely to happen.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2016, 04:35:47 PM
Documentary on National Lampoon.  Animal House evolved out of an idea to put the Manson cult in high school.

That was a great documentary.

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on January 29, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
Gonna watch Everest, the movie based on the disastrous 1996 climb. Ever since I read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, based on this climb, I always wanted to climb Everest. But given that A) I hate the cold and B) I huff and puff after climbing two flights of stairs and C) I'm almost 50---this ain't likely to happen.

This week I've been watching Everest and K2 documentaries. There's a great BBC documenatary on the 2008 K2 disaster, and I've met one of the climbers! :w00t:

Also, speaking of Everest 1996 I have to mention Göran Kropp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6ran_Kropp

Tonitrus

It is a great show.  Tragically great really.  Walter White is probably the ultimate example I have ever seen of the "anti-hero".  A thoroughly despicable character that ends up being someone you almost have to root for.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 30, 2016, 03:39:45 AM

It is a great show.  Tragically great really.  Walter White is probably the ultimate example I have ever seen of the "anti-hero".  A thoroughly despicable character that ends up being someone you almost have to root for.

Well, it helps that he starts the series as a relatable underdog who's gotten a shit deal.

Compare that to, say, Frank Underwood who has been a despicable person from the beginning and gives you no reason to root for him.

I really liked was Breaking Bad cinematography, too. The desert shots were often breathtaking.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.