And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Savonarola on November 20, 2015, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 20, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
Really lame lovey dovey shit between "Ani" and Portman.

That had some of the most egregious dialogue in all of film in it.  I think the nadir was:

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

It's even worse in that Hayden Christensen gives the line an extra-creepy delivery.  How did Lucas direct that scene?  "You're doing great Hayden, but your delivery still isn't creepy enough.  Try imagining that Natalie is an eight year old girl."

It's been so many years since I've seen that film and yet I can recall that scene clearly. It was truly awful. :yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

One defence of AOTC though:

I thought the ending was pretty bad ass.  When the clones arrive to save the Jedis, an entire CGI army of crazy machines, then it ending with shots of proto-Star Destroyers and hundreds of troopers marching while the theme lightly echoes the Imperial March...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

The whole plot of AOTC is so incredibly stupid though. "Oh gee, somebody commissioned an army of clones in some shady mystery planet; well, we'll take over it, nothing bad can happen surely, it certainly won't be a trap...".

I remember reading an article somewhere summing up all the idiocy and ineptitude of the Republic  throughout the movies, and how that probably makes the Empire the lesser evil.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2015, 11:53:45 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2015, 10:32:05 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2015, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2015, 03:11:10 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2015, 03:06:02 PM
I have always meant to try and watch that or Rebels, but it seems to me I'll have to go through a lot of kiddie stuff (which is fine, I'm not the target audience) in order to get to the parts I will find cool.
that is an accurate description of the shows, yes.  There are some very good parts, but lots of it is aimed at pre-teen/teen boys.  But, that is not much different than the prequels ;)

Isn't *all* of Star Wars basically aimed at that audience?  :hmm:
Only since Return of the Jedi.  Before that, they were aimed at adult-teenagers   :sleep:

It's basically a fairy tale set in space, complete with princesses, swords, funny animals, and a boy growing up to find his destiny.  ;) It's no more nor less inherently 'adult' than Narnia, The Dark Crystal, or The Neverending Story. Not that this makes it "bad" - I happen to like all of 'em.  ;)
the word "adult-teenager" was meant to say those young adults who haven't yet grown out of their teenage years.
the word in french would have been "adulescent" a contraction of "adulte" (adult) and "adolescent" (teenager).
Not necessarly the kind of people playing with toys, but not excluding them ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Hangover 3 on the Catalan telly tonight. Languish has told me the Hangover sequels are terrible, but I'll probably give it a watch.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2015, 12:52:08 PM
The worst I think was "episode 2" - the entire Jedi order completely forgets about a planet because it's erased from the archives, but some short order cook knows all about it?  It would be like the State Department forgetting about Switzerland until the Chinese delivery guy reminded them.  Then there is this whole mystery abut who ordered the clone army and why - a story line that is then completely dropped and never recurs.  And how do the Jedi pay for it anyways - somehow I doubt midichlorians or whatever are legal tender.
The equivalent would be people knowing of Bufford, Wyoming, but never travelling there because it ain't on a map and not really knowing how it is important and then somehow discovering an hidden army base training the next generation of american warriors.
The short order cook would be a former CIA assassin who gives hint to Obi-Wan on how to trace the owner of a special brand of bullet used to kill an assassin attempting on the life of a pretty young senator.

I've seen stranger plots in Hollywood movies :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 20, 2015, 02:11:08 PM
Hangover 3 on the Catalan telly tonight. Languish has told me the Hangover sequels are terrible, but I'll probably give it a watch.
#2 is just like #1, but in Asia.  #3 is dreadful.  I have warned you.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 20, 2015, 02:11:08 PM

Hangover 2 wasn't bad, but it was exactly the same movie as the first one, just transported to Thailand.

I've heard very bad things about 3 though, which is where they break away from the "Hangover" plotline, but don't actually replace it with anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2015, 02:09:51 PM
the word "adult-teenager" was meant to say those young adults who haven't yet grown out of their teenage years.
the word in french would have been "adulescent" a contraction of "adulte" (adult) and "adolescent" (teenager).

Young adult or YA in English (or "Children of all ages" to a showman); thanks for the French vocab.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on November 20, 2015, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 20, 2015, 01:05:29 PM
Really lame lovey dovey shit between "Ani" and Portman.

That had some of the most egregious dialogue in all of film in it.  I think the nadir was:

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

It's even worse in that Hayden Christensen gives the line an extra-creepy delivery.  How did Lucas direct that scene?  "You're doing great Hayden, but your delivery still isn't creepy enough.  Try imagining that Natalie is an eight year old girl."
:lol:

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on November 20, 2015, 02:24:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2015, 02:09:51 PM

Young adult or YA in English (or "Children of all ages" to a showman); thanks for the French vocab.   :)
I'll remember that, thanks!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 20, 2015, 02:03:52 PM
The whole plot of AOTC is so incredibly stupid though. "Oh gee, somebody commissioned an army of clones in some shady mystery planet; well, we'll take over it, nothing bad can happen surely, it certainly won't be a trap...".
in their defense, they were kind desperate.

I remember reading an article somewhere summing up all the idiocy and ineptitude of the Republic  throughout the movies, and how that probably makes the Empire the lesser evil.
it's a reminded that a democracy can be manipulated to impale herself.

celedhring

It certainly manipulated me into wanting to impale my eyes.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2015, 01:59:22 PM
One defence of AOTC though:

I thought the ending was pretty bad ass.  When the clones arrive to save the Jedis, an entire CGI army of crazy machines, then it ending with shots of proto-Star Destroyers and hundreds of troopers marching while the theme lightly echoes the Imperial March...

I agree also (as I've said before) the payoff in "When Clones Attack" where Count Dracula and a puppet fight for the fate of the universe with laser swords is fantastic.  The problem is the movie isn't about the puppet or about Dracula; it's some dull mystery and a painfully unbelievable love story.  Had he written a story which led to that conclusion it probably would have been great.  Instead the story is written because the broader plot requires it; Ani and Padme have to fall in love and the Clone War has to begin.  So the plot occurs because it has to; and that's an awful way to write a story.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Starting watching Episode 1 because of Josephus. I will never forgive him. The fighting scenes, Jar Jar, the shield generator scene. :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk