News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

History needs to dump the picker assholes. HEY LETS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OLD HOARDER.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Ancient Aliens is a national treasure. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 12, 2015, 09:35:59 AM
History needs to dump the picker assholes. HEY LETS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OLD HOARDER.

Dunno, it's the one show on History I still watch every now and then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

My mom loves that show.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Avant-Garde Cinema Volume 2:

This is a collection of Avant-Garde films from 1925 to somewhere in the mid 1950s.  Some were good, most were atrocious.  The... uhm... standout piece is a restored version of Isidore Isou's 1951 Letterist... er... masterpiece "Venom and Eternity."  Letterisme was a French art movement that never caught on in the English speaking world.  It's more or less the link between Dadaism and Fluxus.  The film a polemic on the then state of cinema, a description of a Letterist film and a Letterist film all in one.  A letterist film is where you watch stock footage, while an unrelated voice-over tells a story.  While this is a profoundly stupid way to show a film; but Issou's repeated essays on how important he is and how influential he will be make it funny.  Today the film is mostly remembered for causing a riot when it was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in 1951.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on November 12, 2015, 11:34:29 AM
Avant-Garde Cinema Volume 2:

This is a collection of Avant-Garde films from 1925 to somewhere in the mid 1950s.  Some were good, most were atrocious.  The... uhm... standout piece is a restored version of Isidore Isou's 1951 Letterist... er... masterpiece "Venom and Eternity."  Letterisme was a French art movement that never caught on in the English speaking world.  It's more or less the link between Dadaism and Fluxus.  The film a polemic on the then state of cinema, a description of a Letterist film and a Letterist film all in one.  A letterist film is where you watch stock footage, while an unrelated voice-over tells a story.  While this is a profoundly stupid way to show a film; but Issou's repeated essays on how important he is and how influential he will be make it funny.  Today the film is mostly remembered for causing a riot when it was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in 1951.

I liked it  :blush:

Letterism was crap at producing compelling works of art itself, but it was pretty influential - in film at least, they pioneered the anti-illusionism that would became prevalent in the avant-garde of the 60s. Isou's concepts of "chiselling" and bringing to the front the formalistic conventions of filmmaking would be better developed by the Nouvelle Vague (Godard in particular) in the 60s.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2015, 11:50:58 AM

Letterism was crap at producing compelling works of art itself, but it was pretty influential - in film at least, they pioneered the anti-illusionism that would became prevalent in the avant-garde of the 60s. Isou's concepts of "chiselling" and bringing to the front the formalistic conventions of filmmaking would be better developed by the Nouvelle Vague (Godard in particular) in the 60s.

I didn't know that, but now that you say it I can see how the ideas of Letterism influenced Godard.

The version of "Venom and Eternity" that I saw had, what I took to be, the original English subtitles from the 50s.  They toned down the dialogue a lot.  My favorite:

Daniel:  Eh, surréaliste, merde!
Subtitle:  Hey, surrealist, in your hat!

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Scipio

Quote from: Savonarola on November 12, 2015, 01:17:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2015, 11:50:58 AM

I didn't know that, but now that you say it I can see how the ideas of Letterism influenced Godard.

The version of "Venom and Eternity" that I saw had, what I took to be, the original English subtitles from the 50s.  They toned down the dialogue a lot.  My favorite:

Daniel:  Eh, surréaliste, merde!
Subtitle:  Hey, surrealist, in your hat!
Shit in his hat? That's just mean!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Amistad starting on the telly. Really long and considered one of Spielberg's weakest... but I can't see Spielberg making a totally bad film. Worth the watch?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2015, 04:21:58 PM
Amistad starting on the telly. Really long and considered one of Spielberg's weakest... but I can't see Spielberg making a totally bad film. Worth the watch?

Curiosity value.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2015, 04:21:58 PM
Better than Warhorse.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2015, 09:39:30 AM

My mom loves that show.  :wacko:

My mom is the hoarder. She lives in fear of reality TV shows coming to get her stuff.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

They are preparing the season finale where the Duck Dynasty guys hunt the American Pickers through the swamps of Louisiana.  Think Antiques Road show meets Deliverance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 05:59:47 PM

They are preparing the season finale where the Duck Dynasty guys hunt the American Pickers through the swamps of Louisiana.  Think Antiques Road show meets Deliverance.

This is brilliant. Nominating Raz right now.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers