And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2015, 10:23:19 PM
Celebrated 9/11 by watching American Sniper. :usa:

Ok, didn't actually realize it was 9/11 until just now. But I did see the movie. If you liked Hurt Locker, this one's much the same.

Is The Hurt Locker also super-boring?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on September 12, 2015, 01:24:18 AM
Is Cosmos too over the top for a 10 year-old?

Hard to say.  I suppose it assumes some level of preexisting scientific literacy, but from the episodes I've seen I think it would be okay.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2015, 01:44:43 AM
Is The Hurt Locker also super-boring?

I didn't find either of them boring.

Get Hard. They really overdid it with the dick jokes and rape jokes. The only really funny scene was when Kevin Hart portrayed 3 different convicts accosting Ferrell on his tennis court. The rest? /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

3/10 for me, no. 86 down my list for 2014. -_-  I feel like an opportunity was missed to make a movie about the character that Chris Kyle imagined himself to be.  That guy was scarcely less of a total dick, but at least he was interesting.  (Meanwhile, Enemy At the Gates is a way better sniper-centric war-as-entertainment piece; and when a kid dies in that movie, I also cared, because he wasn't some anonymous lawful target.  I kind of want to watch Enemy At the Gates now.)
Kinemalogue

Duque de Bragança

Enemy at the Gates :bleeding:
Annaud's worst.  :x

Why don't you watch Vilmaier's Stalingrad instead?

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2015, 06:41:03 AM

Hyperbole, Annaud's has far worse.

I think all the war elements and the duel between the two main characters work very well. All the romance, etc... dilute and cheapen the movie, but it's still a worthwhile watch.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on September 12, 2015, 06:49:35 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 12, 2015, 06:41:03 AM

Hyperbole, Annaud's has far worse.

I think all the war elements and the duel between the two main characters work very well. All the romance, etc... dilute and cheapen the movie, but it's still a worthwhile watch.

War elements are crap, battle of Stalingrad is only a CGI-background and is reduced to a sniper duel, the duel itself is meh.

Black and white in colour?
Hothead/Coup de tête?
Quest for Fire?
The Name of the Rose?
The Bear?
The Lover?
Seven Years in Tibet?
His Majesty Minor? Not very well known
Black Gold? Can't stand Banderas as an Arab or what?
Wolf Totem? Kind of suicidal, shooting it in Chinese and Mongol for a western audience but far from the worst.

Annaud's low point sorry.
First half-dozen are famous and most deserve it.

celedhring

Seven Years in Tibet, Black Gold, The Lover, The Bear... all worse.  Black Gold is particularly abysmal.

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on September 11, 2015, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
A documentary about Kate Bush ( :wub: )- 'The Kate Bush Story: Running up That Hill' worth a viewing.

Was that the one from a year ago, just before her concerts. I saw it recently.

No this was more a talking heads one with lots of contributions from famous musos, concentrating on the albums/singles and her influence; still worth watching even though I'd already seen it.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

The Bear, as well as the Lover are among his best work, you may not like them, that does not make them abysmal. We'll have to agree to disagree. I am no great fan of them but rather rewatch them than Enemy at the Gates.

The other ones you mention may not be great unlike the first six or seven, but Enemy at the Gates has always been painful to watch be at the time of its release, be it now. The early CGI is predictably atrocious nowadays as an added malus. Even Quest for Fire has better dialogue than it (hurray for shooting Enemy at the Gates it in English with phoney accents à la Hollywood blockbuster). It does not work as so bad it's good too. I must confess Banderas disguised as Arab always cracks me up a bit. :) He's no 13th Warrior of course.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2015, 07:55:00 AM
A documentary about Kate Bush ( :wub: )- 'The Kate Bush Story: Running up That Hill' worth a viewing.

No this was more a talking heads one with lots of contributions from famous musos, concentrating on the albums/singles and her influence; still worth watching even though I'd already seen it.  :blush:

yeah I think that's the one I saw. Had Gilmour, Gabriel, chicks from St. Vincent and Bat for Lashes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2015, 09:20:36 AM

yeah I think that's the one I saw. Had Gilmour, Gabriel, chicks from St. Vincent and Bat for Lashes.

Yes that's it.

For some reason I don't own all of the Kate Bush albums, heads off to buy them.  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2015, 09:59:08 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2015, 09:20:36 AM

Yes that's it.

For some reason I don't own all of the Kate Bush albums, heads off to buy them.  :Embarrass:

The only weak one in her catalogue is the REd Shoes one (they talk about that as her heartbreak album). The rest are all pretty good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Spooksville.  The vampire episode was clever and funny.

Shame it was only a season. 
PDH!