News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2015, 04:57:48 PM
That said, all the action/suspense bits in Argo were pretty clumsy.

Definitely
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2015, 01:17:23 PM
The French Lieutenant's Woman (1982).  It is mostly a dully-scripted, boringly-made romantic melodrama set in turn of the 20th century England.  Because the book it is based on is one of those postmodernist classics, it is, also, a somewhat livelier romantic melodrama set in 1982, featuring the actors playing the parts in a film production of The French Lieutenant's Woman.  Each story steals power the other, leaving both wan and undernourished; or, you could say that the present-day section adds 30 minutes of unnecessary runtime, destroying any chance that the schematic Victorian romance might be the remotest bit entertaining.  It's pretentious and stupid, it's also never really terrible or anything.  However, it fails to justify its right to exist.  I understand the book is much better, but everything good about it is bound up in the formal attributes of its medium. 4/10

I actually rather liked the book, but just couldn't get into the movie when I tried to watch it. Quit after 5 or 10 minutes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Cool World (1992).  Possessed of one of the lowest ratios of quality to budget of any film that was ever made, Bakshi's perverse folly is still worth watching every once in a while just to be reminded that--somehow--it was.  1/10

My guess was that that the movie fell out of alternate reality were Pederasts were key demographic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Just saw the Fantastic 4 commercial. Looks gay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Cool World (1992).  Possessed of one of the lowest ratios of quality to budget of any film that was ever made, Bakshi's perverse folly is still worth watching every once in a while just to be reminded that--somehow--it was.  1/10

There's worse culprits in that particular metric, but yeah, Cool World is just... indescribably bad.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on July 19, 2015, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 19, 2015, 04:43:09 AM
Batfleck looks amazing! :angry:

He'll do just fine in this. He is unfairly getting a bad rap.

At least he can't possibly do worse than Clooney.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Batfleck is one of the few things I'm ok with. The rest just looks like they're trying way too hard to be dark, and gritty, and serious, and .... ugh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2015, 06:47:46 AM
Batfleck is one of the few things I'm ok with. The rest just looks like they're trying way too hard to be dark, and gritty, and serious, and .... ugh.
I concur.  I'm fine with Aflek. Its the washed out grey and black look that sucks.
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2015, 07:16:32 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2015, 06:47:46 AM
I concur.  I'm fine with Aflek. Its the washed out grey and black look that sucks.

Yeah, I have to agree here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2015, 10:21:38 PM
Tell you what, you go ask 100 people on the street what the Anabasis is and if 5 of them correctly* identify it, I'll read it.  :sleep:

*without googling it on their phones first

Times are changing I guess.   The story of the 10,000 was part of our curriculum in grade school when we studied ancient Greece.

Savonarola

I Don't Want to be a Man (1918)

No, not the Bruce Jenner story; this is a farce by Ernst Lubitsch made in the darkest days of the First World War.  Ossi (Ossi Oswalda) is a tomboy who loves to smoke cigarettes and play cards.  She gets a stern new guardian (Kurt Goetz) so she decides to dress up as a man and go out to a ball.  She receives rough treatment from both men and women until she runs into her guardian then they get hammered and start kissing.  The rest of it played out like "The Twelfth Night."  There are some funny scenes in this; but it isn't one of the better of his German films
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

So apparently all traffic around the State Opera will be locked off from tomorrow afternoon till Friday morning to facilitate the world premiere of the new Mission Impossible movie.

Even for GWB they didn't go to such lengths.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.