News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2015, 12:44:26 PM
The odd part is that the (absurd) final battle at the end of Fury was allegedly based on a real incident, that sounds almost as absurd: a guy more or less single-handedly mowing down dozens of Nazi mooks from his knocked-out armoured vehicle with its .50 cal.

QuoteThe Germans scored a direct hit on an M10 tank destroyer, setting it alight, forcing the crew to abandon it.[66] Murphy ordered his men to retreat to positions in the woods, remaining alone at his post shooting his M1 carbine and directing artillery fire via his field telephone while the Germans aimed fire directly at his position.[67] Murphy mounted the abandoned, burning tank destroyer and began firing its .50 caliber machine gun at the advancing Germans, killing a squad crawling through a ditch towards him.[68] For an hour, Murphy stood on the tank destroyer returning German fire from foot soldiers and advancing tanks, killing or wounding 50 Germans. He sustained a leg wound during his stand, and stopped only after he ran out of ammunition.[66] Murphy rejoined his men, disregarding his own wound, and led them back to repel the Germans. He insisted on remaining with his men while his wounds were treated.[66] For his actions that day he was awarded the Medal of Honor.[69] The 3rd Infantry Division was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions at the Colmar Pocket, giving Murphy a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for the emblem. [70]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy#European_Theater

There's already a great movie of that incident, starring the soldier in question as himself.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Ed's movie reviews(based on their TV commercials)

Ant-Man:

Another comic book movie for the pedo adult comic reading crowd. Looks stupid and you should feel bad paying money to see it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 13, 2015, 06:46:44 PM
Ed's movie reviews(based on their TV commercials)

Ant-Man:

Another comic book movie for the pedo adult comic reading crowd. Looks stupid and you should feel bad paying money to see it.

I am looking forward to it and plan to spend as much money as i want to view it.

And no i won't get off your lawn dammit!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Oh yes you will. No amnesty!

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 13, 2015, 07:44:56 PM

You are gonna vote for the Donald aren't you :ultra:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on July 13, 2015, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 13, 2015, 07:44:56 PM

You are gonna vote for the Donald aren't you :ultra:

I don't believe my vote matters.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Watched the Marky Mark flick about SEALs fighting the Taliban.  Was OK.  Guys getting shot a lot.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2015, 01:05:18 PM
If you're going to base a movie on Audie Murphy, it's probably got to be about Audie Murphy, tho.

And
Starring:
Audie Murphy
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I read somewhere that when they originally wanted to film Audie Murphy's war exploits they actually toned it down, because some of the stuff was too unbelievable.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 14, 2015, 12:08:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 13, 2015, 01:05:18 PM
If you're going to base a movie on Audie Murphy, it's probably got to be about Audie Murphy, tho.

And
Starring:
Audie Murphy

Well, yes.  To Hell and Back. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Jupiter Ascending. Silly but watchable.
Ned Kelly. Expected Jesse James, got Robin Hood.
My Dear Secretary. Worst Kirk Douglas movie I've ever seen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2015, 11:51:18 PM
Watched the Marky Mark flick about SEALs fighting the Taliban.  Was OK.  Guys getting shot a lot.

One thing pretty cool about this movie, which is called Lone Survivor, is it features an AC-130 gunship.  Never seen one of those in a movie before.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2015, 02:29:52 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2015, 11:51:18 PM

One thing pretty cool about this movie, which is called Lone Survivor, is it features an AC-130 gunship.  Never seen one of those in a movie before.

Wasn't there one in a Transformers flick? Forgot which one, I mix them all up.

EDIT: Yup http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Category:Lockheed_AC-130

Ideologue

Iirc, there should've been one in Black Hawk Down (one was present at the Battle of Mogadishu), but there wasn't one in the movie.  Budget, I guess.

Good or bad, I would have to assume Lone Survivor is better than American Sniper.  Turns out the fictionalized version of the guy who killed a hundred brown people is really boring.  Did I mention seeing that?  I don't think I did.  3/10.  Bleh.  They should've made a movie based on his actual memoir, statements, and personality.  A crazy racist and self-confessed murderer who alleged that he once beat up (a septagenarian) Jesse Ventura shouldn't be celebrated, probably, but at least he'd be interesting.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)