News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2015, 07:05:31 AM
the old official excuse for not banning gays from government work: that they were easily blackmailed and thus a higher security risk.

Government is famously retarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

John Oliver is awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: The Larch on April 12, 2015, 05:45:30 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2015, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2015, 04:47:46 PM
Watching The Imitation Game. Exactly what I expected from the trailer.
Yep. Two hours of exactly what you'd expect with a fabricated Soviet spy thing thrown in to make it a little more exciting.

It was made by that British cottage industry of underwhelming award nominees that no-one ever re-watches :bleeding:

The Imitation Game was also extremely dishonest with its portrayal of history. The descendants of the character portrayed by Charles Dance made an official complaint about how they represent him in the movie, and they also downplayed a lot the presence of women in Turing's team, as well as the way they worked, downplaying the contribution of others while making Turing the "tormented genious" responsible for everything.

It seemed to me to be too much about a few people and lacked telling the grand achievement that it was, and that many people contributed to. For instance, when they finally break the code and get a message of a U-boat attack they argue among themselves as to whether to tell their military/civilian leaders about it so as to preserve the secrecy. I have to think that all was planned in advance by the leadership and those decisions would be taken up by the leaders, not a few code breakers.

Martinus

This *was* a movie about a few people (or more specifically about Turing). It was a psychological drama based on a fabularised book about Turing.  :lol:

It's like complaining that "I Claudius" focuses too much on Claudius and people around him and does not show battles in Britain - you just missed the fucking point of the movie.

Ideologue

I didn't like the "oh, yeah, and then he died" part where they all but skipped over the most interesting parts of Turing's life to make a good but broad procedural thriller.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2015, 02:44:48 PM
This *was* a movie about a few people (or more specifically about Turing). It was a psychological drama based on a fabularised book about Turing.  :lol:

It's like complaining that "I Claudius" focuses too much on Claudius and people around him and does not show battles in Britain - you just missed the fucking point of the movie.

Whatever the point, the huge WW2 event could have been done up much better, even given it was mainly about Turing. As I said/felt, the movie tended to show him and his group make decisions on how/where the info was used, make it seem like that was the norm, but it was the allied high command. So it could have been a lot more powerful if it showed more of how enigma info was used, even while focusing on Turing.

The Brain

I'm not convinced that making a movie that glorifies a sex criminal is a great idea. The law isn't a smorgasbord where you can pick and choose the parts you like. If you feel that the law should be changed you can write your MP.

Lots of laws are horrible and retarded. Deal with it.

Eddie Teach

You're trying to get someone to post that Eurythmics video. Well, I won't do it!  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Short hair on chicks is HOTT.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2015, 02:44:48 PM
This was a movie about a plucky/arrogant underdogs who for whatever reason has to struggle to achieve glory but manages it. It's no different than Billy Elliot, Chariots of Fire, The Full Monty or even the King's bloody Speech. It was so conventional that he even got the girl.

This is what we do in this country. In the same way that James Bond massages our ego about imperial decline, we now make films about underdogs still achieving great things despite the obstacles. Their subsequent award ceremony success reinforces the message of the films with breathless news reports live from LA that 'the Brits are coming' every single year.

As Ide says the really interesting story is following his arrest. But that's treated perfunctorily. Instead we get A Beautiful Mind with a bad score.

QuoteIt's like complaining that "I Claudius" focuses too much on Claudius and people around him and does not show battles in Britain - you just missed the fucking point of the movie.
With the exception of the gay issue which I think is problematic, my big issue with the Imitation Game as I said is it's predictable, mediocre British Oscar bait that no-one re-watches and that does well because the accent makes people think it's cleverer than it is :P

Tonight I watched Interstellar. Liked it a lot. The whole Matt Damon sub-plot should have been cut. His daughter in the middle section reminded me a lot of young Julia Roberts.

Edit: Also after this and the lip sync battle Anne Hathaway has won me back over, she'll be relieved to hear.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

Another strong beginning for 'Game of Thrones'; I watched the first two episodes of season 5 and now I'm in 'unkonwn' territory as I stopped reading after book 3.  The Dhaenerys plot seems stronger than I remember from the books.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

KRonn

I forgot to watch GOT but recorded it, plus it'll be on repeats again. My most favorite show and I forgot that the series was starting up again.   :Embarrass:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on April 12, 2015, 08:53:20 PM
Another strong beginning for 'Game of Thrones'; I watched the first two episodes of season 5 and now I'm in 'unkonwn' territory as I stopped reading after book 3.  The Dhaenerys plot seems stronger than I remember from the books.

G.

A lot has been simplified but books 4 and 5 were terrible so I am looking forward to the screenwriters' take on it

Barrister

Question about Marvel's Daredevil tv show, after watching the first episode:

The legal procedural aspect of the show had me rolling my eyes.  It's not a criticism of the show, not at least for others, but a side effect of being a Crown had made legal thrillers unwatcheable to me.

However, the rest of the show showed promise.  I generally like what Marvel has done in tv/movies.

So here's my question fo those that have gone further: is this more of a legal procedural with a side of superheroes, or a superhero show with a side of legal procedural?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2015, 10:49:31 PM
Question about Marvel's Daredevil tv show, after watching the first episode:

The legal procedural aspect of the show had me rolling my eyes.  It's not a criticism of the show, not at least for others, but a side effect of being a Crown had made legal thrillers unwatcheable to me.

However, the rest of the show showed promise.  I generally like what Marvel has done in tv/movies.

So here's my question fo those that have gone further: is this more of a legal procedural with a side of superheroes, or a superhero show with a side of legal procedural?

Very little legal procedural in rest of show.
much more ass kicking of russian, japanese and other nationalities gangsters :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son