News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 09:26:04 PM
Walking Dead. Serious Question. I always found the science behind the virus confusing.

If someone gets bitten on the arm in Walking Dead, why do they die?  Everyone on the show is infected nfected right? So why does a bite accelerate the virus. At first I thought they die from the bite and then turn. But what kills them?

Maybe it's like the flu/vaccine...everyone has a "dead" form of the virus inside them that triggers when the brain dies.  And "live" zombie juice brings it on a live person.

Though IIRC, the cases of "live" zombie bites have gotten vary rare lately.  Most people don't live that long anymore, as those caught by the zombies anymore are usually taken/eaten whole.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2014, 09:42:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2014, 09:26:04 PM
Walking Dead. Serious Question. I always found the science behind the virus confusing.

If someone gets bitten on the arm in Walking Dead, why do they die?  Everyone on the show is infected nfected right? So why does a bite accelerate the virus. At first I thought they die from the bite and then turn. But what kills them?

That's what baffles you?  Not the violation of the laws of themodynamics or that they can only be killed by hitting them in the head or that they're corpses that are walking around years after they died?

It tried to explain it as the virus "jumpstarts" only the pure survival part of the brain after normal death.  But yeah, being that the rest of the body is still required to support the brain operating at all, doesn't explain function after much of the body is gone/rotted away.

And never will, of course.

Admiral Yi

People turn into zombies in Walking Dead??

How about some spoilers douchebag.  :mad:

Tonitrus

The show isn't really about zombies anyway.  They just serve the function of the "dues ex machina"...they could just as well be full-scale nuclear war or a meteor destroying the climate. 

The zombies are just like really bad weather that forces the human drama to do what it does.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Snowpiercer: Fucking stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: katmai on October 27, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
100% :nerd:

Only 17/20 here.  I had to guess on a few, but there were several I recognized just from trailers.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2014, 08:52:44 PM
LOL, TWD:

[spoiler]Looks like the hipsters won't be making it to the Dave Matthews concert and outdoor BBQ this season.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Thank fucking god. I briefly wondered if I was a bad person when I was happy to see them viciously slaughtered. -_-[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

[spoiler]Oh, I think most of America was satisfied with that outcome, even if Glenn and Maggie weren't.[/spoiler]  :D

11B4V

Arn: The Knight Templar: Meh C

Solomon Kane: D

Enemy: Huh, what?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

I kinda wish Walking Dead would slow down a bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2014, 03:43:03 AM
I kinda wish Walking Dead would slow down a bit.

That would be 22 mins of Black screen each episode.

Eddie Teach

Look how quickly the Terminus thread came and went.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Very fast but that's not speed. That's writers changing their minds.