Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 08, 2014, 08:18:52 AM
I decided to watch Fantasia 2000 instead, and then Harakiri. -_-

Will Raz be your second?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 05:00:39 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2014, 11:27:43 PM
I want Song of the South.

I could be mistaken, but I think I saw that in a theater. When did it come out?

'46
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 08, 2014, 08:27:59 AM

Will Raz be your second?

I took his topknot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 08, 2014, 05:00:39 AM

I could be mistaken, but I think I saw that in a theater. When did it come out?
I saw it too inthe 80s.
PDH!

Josquius

The Station Agent- Tyrion is an anti-social dick who is into trains. Good reviews but I don't get it.
One annoying thing in this film is throughout the whole thing there is bird song which sounds just like my alarm clock. I kept thinking 'eh? did I set my alarm wrong?'
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

:pirate I may or may not have it, I'll check when I get home tonight.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on January 08, 2014, 02:53:18 AM
Anyone else here seen Byzantium?  I liked it quite a bit, unsurprisingly.  Gemma Arterton's body somehow seems impossible. 
Saw it, totally boring.  Vampires with no fangs?  Doesn't work for me.  Plus, I didn't like how this whole story was told, no emotions, no passion, no action, no nothing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Son of Tarzan (1920)

This is a serial of the Amazing Jungle Romance! by Edgar Rice Burroughs; made by poverty row studio National Film Corporation of America.  Tarzan (played by P. Dempsey Tabler who resembles Fat Elvis much more than he does Tarzan) and Jane have left Africa for England.  They have a son, whom Jane insists must never learn about Tarzan's life in the jungle.  Naturally the boy becomes obsessed with the jungle, and sneaks out to see a music hall act featuring an ape.  The ape was one of Tarzan's tribe and the trainer was Ivan Paulovich, an evil Russian (but, I repeat myself) who has sworn revenge on Tarzan.  He kidnaps the boy and through a series of missteps both end up in Africa though apart.  There all sorts of adventures occur: Ivory Smugglers! Cannibals! A Vengeful Sheik! A Pretty Jungle Maiden! and much more populate the wilds of Africa in the stories many twists and turns.  Eventually Fat Tarzan returns and is once again King of the Jungle.

The direction in these films leaves something to be desired; the director just nails the camera down and lets the scene play out.  There are cross cuts, but with a static camera and everything shot in medium focus, they seem to be taking place in different films (and interspersed with stock footage.)

Unlike in the later Johnny Weissmuller films, the black natives aren't evil and the climax isn't Tarzan beating up all the black people.  Instead the black Africans are simply minions some who work for Tarzan, others who work for the various white villains.  This might not be more racist, but it does make the black Africans even more marginal then they will be later.

Inexplicably Tarzan and Jane are referred to as Lord and Lady Greystone rather than Greystoke.  It makes them sound like Harry Blackstone's neutral-aligned cousin.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I thought Tarzan *did* inherit some title.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2014, 03:42:30 PM
I thought Tarzan *did* inherit some title.

Yes he's Lord Greystoke; the title cards referred to him as Lord Greystone.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Saw the premiere for Intelligence.

I think this show really has potential.  It seems to occupy NCIS: LA timespot for now, but that's likely to change.

The story is that of a CIA Agent (Josh Holloway, from Lost and C&C 3), well, technically US Cybercom division.  This agent is implanted with a chip that turns him into a computer, able to hack computers, control some electronic devices through bluetooth, search the internet and any database available to US intelligence agencies.

Assigned to him is a Secret Service agent (Meghan Ory, a cuty that will look better come 2nd season, once she can afford a sandwich or two) in charge of his personal protection, as his boss believes his chip needs protection.

Looking up on her, it seems she is a canadian actress and she played in Vampire High while younger.

Anyhow, at this point, there's enough on the table to make a good show.  The acting is above that of the black list (from Meghan Ory's part, at least, and did I say she was cute?), there's potential for a very good story with some underlying elements.  It really depends if they throw everything overboard in favour of the weekly case syndrome or if they do something with this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The lady in question.

Killer eyes, I like that.

Sophie Scholl

She also played Little Red Riding Hood/The Wolf in Once Upon a Time.  Definitely cute. :licklips:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 08, 2014, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 08, 2014, 08:27:59 AM

Will Raz be your second?

I took his topknot.

So that's why I keep tripping over my untied shoes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017