News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just watched a romantic comedy with Jimmy Fallon as a nutcase BoSox fan and Drew Barrymore as a high powered yuppie something or other.  It starts out OK, then falls apart in the same place all romantic comedies fall apart, the break up/get back together/break up/get back together cycle.

This was maybe the first movie in which I did *not* find the adult Drew Barrymore unpleasant to look at.  Usually I see her name in the billing and I just skip on past (same with Reese Witherspoon).

Ideologue

P.S. Kleves you were right.  Sort of.  As I note, it's both too short to do what it wants, and too long to be what it is. :hmm:

Quote from: YiThis was maybe the first movie in which I did *not* find the adult Drew Barrymore unpleasant to look at.  Usually I see her name in the billing and I just skip on past (same with Reese Witherspoon).

Homo to both, really, but Witherspoon in particular.  Good grief.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on January 06, 2014, 04:14:21 AM
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013).

QuoteWhat I'm most reminded of is The Great Dictator, except that movie was made in 1940 and Chaplin thought the other guy with a funny mustache was more of a clown than we'd now be likely accept in a movie made about everybody's favorite reichschancellor.

The Wolf of Wall Street was made in 2013, long after we've realized that people like Jordan Belfort should be dragged from their burning homes in the middle of the night.  Scorsese takes this as a given, and his film's principal focus for the first two hours is what very fine clowns these wannabe masters of the universe can make.  It still serves as a call to action, but less perfectly than when Chaplin addressed his even more complacent audience directly.

2 Great 2 Gatsby
I'd have thought you'd want to leave them in their burning house?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

They've got to be reeducated.  I'm not a monster.

Although I kind of am, because I said "reichschancellor" instead of "reich chancellor," which I have corrected. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

The Brain

Reese Witherspoon? Yi is so gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

While I would not call her unattractive, her chin is rather larger than it should be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Garbon, it's time to make these men fabulous.

Do what you can.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

I've finished watching Star Trek TNG series 1.
Some episodes I hadn't seen before. It is interesting how many nascant elements there are and how... lame much of it still seems. The later completely forgotten battle bridge/saucer seperation stuff is weird and makes no sense and Geordie as the pilot is bizzare.
It really does have all the hallmarks of a series yet to find its feet. It probally would have been cancelled had it been made in later times.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2014, 09:39:10 AM
I've finished watching Star Trek TNG series 1.
Some episodes I hadn't seen before. It is interesting how many nascant elements there are and how... lame much of it still seems. The later completely forgotten battle bridge/saucer seperation stuff is weird and makes no sense and Geordie as the pilot is bizzare.
It really does have all the hallmarks of a series yet to find its feet. It probally would have been cancelled had it been made in later times.

And that is a 100% correct assessment of the first season.  It was a show which had some elements, but hadn't yet found its way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 05, 2014, 09:19:24 PM
Ed at the movies:

Ender's Game- it was alright.

Rating:

While cavorting in giant wine vats with nubile maids is promising, there is more than enough dumbness to hurt that potential.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2014, 09:39:10 AM
It probally would have been cancelled had it been made in later times.
It would have been cancelled had it not been Star Trek ;)

Btw, battle-bridge saucer seperation was used in Best of Both Worlds, part II:nerd:
Afaik, it's the only time.  Maybe in the movie Generations?  I can't remember.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I recently rewatched the first two seasons of TNG. I was rather amused how casually they treated sex esp. in the first season. Like in "Justice" where they basically go on shore leave to fuck the locals. Riker even calls out Worf why he isn't getting himself any. Also, the Naked Now.

It's a shame, though, that Denise Crosby left. I rather liked the Tasha Yar character and it had a lot of potential.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I distinctly recall from a number of things that Roddenberry had written as concepts for TNG, that he was pretty much a dirty old raging pervert (i.e Dr Crusher was supposed to walk like a stripper, and the Ferengi were supposed to have enormous cod-pieces).

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 06, 2014, 03:13:18 PM
I distinctly recall from a number of things that Roddenberry had written as concepts for TNG, that he was pretty much a dirty old raging pervert (i.e Dr Crusher was supposed to walk like a stripper, and the Ferengi were supposed to have enormous cod-pieces).

:lol:

I'd watch that.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius