News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

People that like Kickass should fall into a wood chipper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

The best wimmins superhero movie is without a doubt: "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" with Uma. But, that's a bit like being the worlds tallest dwarf.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 01, 2014, 08:13:57 PM
Apparently I'm the only person here who has heard of Supergirl, Tank Girl, and Barb Wire.  All comic book based films with female leads.  Granted they all kind of sucked, but they did exist.

Now, Tank Girl and Barb Wire don't count--one's a sci-fi property, the other is a kind of heightened spy/noir iirc.

Now, Supergirl, yes, I did forget that.  It's sort of an embarrassment, though, yes?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Wolf of Wall Street. Damn, that was a long movie.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Quote from: Kleves on January 02, 2014, 01:37:33 AM

Any good though? It is on my radar...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Anyway, shorter was the order, right?

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013).

QuoteA movie that tells us to embrace life and adventure, but involves a guy more or less just doing his job, and talking to a woman for once (mostly about his job).  Although this may be the point, it doesn't come off as a particularly interesting point the way it's made, and the dream sequences and brilliant landscape photography that accompany this too-simple, largely characterless story fail to illustrate or edify it in any deep way, although occasionally they do thrill in their own right.

Be a mensch... a human being!

C+

Nebraska (2013).

QuoteHahahahaha, mortality.

Hope I die before I get old, but if I don't, kill me

B

Also watched Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928).  At turns extremely funny, but what raises this up to the status of a genuine classic is that amazing, I mean amazing, tornado sequence that climaxes the film.  I don't even know how they did some of it, and I'm pretty sure Keaton could have died for some of those gags.  Movies are rarely if ever made like this anymore, but they were made like this once, and they were awesome.

A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on January 02, 2014, 01:37:33 AM

I was supposed to go see that this morning, but I overslept, then I was supposed to go see it tonight, but I got blown off. :(

I guess I'll watch it this Sunday.  Or I could watch it tomorrow night.  Do you know they're running 10:50 and 11:15 screenings of this beast at one of my local theaters?  On weekdays?  Who is watching these?
Kinemalogue

Maladict

Rewatched Das Boot after reading the book. I really liked it the first time so figured it would still be fine now. It's not  :(

The Brain

Every woman is a superhero in my book. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Anastasia (1997).  A

My insomnia (2014).  D :(
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2014, 08:20:41 PM
People that like Kickass should fall into a wood chipper.

Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Nope.  That movie's great.
Kinemalogue

Berkut

Sign me up for the woodchipper.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2014, 02:07:57 AM
Anyway, shorter was the order, right?

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013).

QuoteA movie that tells us to embrace life and adventure, but involves a guy more or less just doing his job, and talking to a woman for once (mostly about his job).  Although this may be the point, it doesn't come off as a particularly interesting point the way it's made, and the dream sequences and brilliant landscape photography that accompany this too-simple, largely characterless story fail to illustrate or edify it in any deep way, although occasionally they do thrill in their own right.

Be a mensch... a human being!

C+

QuoteMaybe I just need a vacation.  Iceland looks really nice.

You want tips, I'll suggest an itinerary.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.