News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Sphinx Rising!  Good episode of The Venture Bros.

Arrested Development is good.  Nice to see how they are winding it all together.
PDH!

Ideologue

Haven't been able to keep up with the Venture Bros. due to lack of cable.  Real bummer.

Saw Speed Racer (2008) for the first time.  Never saw the show, so I enjoyed it for what it was.  It was pretty weird and wild.  B+ maybe, for being a fun goofy cartoon.  It's not Tron Legacy, and sometimes too cartoonish, and about twenty minutes overlong, but it has a nice ending, a sweet bob haircut on Christina Ricci, and overall it's as bright and colorful as the fucking sun, which you know I appreciate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

By all means, continue to practice grade inflation when it comes to the systematic raping of my childhood institutions. 

katmai

I'm fucking Banning Ide, this shit has got to stop.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

All he does is reinforcement my disdain and contempt for the frontal lobe activity of the Assburger Snowden Generation.

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on June 17, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 04:27:15 PM

Why not?  Superman abandoned Lana Lang.

eh? Abandon? As in leaving for 5 years and not telling anybody about it?

In the comics, he did.  It was hilarious.  "HEY LANA I'M ACTUALLY A SUPERHUMAN OKAY BYE HAVE A NICE LIFE HERE IN SHITTOWN, USA P.S. I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE SEX WITH YOU."  Except said by Superman, so it's way nicer.

QuoteYeah, funny that. One wonders how an dated character managed to survive for so long. As I said, he survives despite his comic never doing really well.

I guess what I mean is that the Superman myth is big enough (and has to be) to accommodate a great many variations, whether that be Emo Superman (Superman Returns, disaffected from humanity, pines over lost love), "Standard" Superman (Post-Crisis DC, not too powerful initially, married, never stops fighting), Zany Superman (pre-Crisis DC, what will red kryptonite turn me into today?), or Class Warrior Superman (Action Comics #1, beats up rich people).

QuoteYes, they were using the donner lex as a basis. I don't like that. He was stupid then and he is stupid now. Comic relief. Superhero Movies of the 2000's don't need comic relief like Superhero Movies of the 1970's did. His schtick grew old in SII, wasn't missed in SIII and positively annoying in SIV. The Lex of the DCAU is superior in every way and a worth opponent rather than a comic relief buffoon.

Concur.  It's not really Hackman's performance as Lex Luthor, but how small time he is.  Fwiw, though, Lex the Businessman, as seen in the DCAU, is an innovation from John Byrne's 1986 reboot of Superman in Man of Steel, so the Donner movies predated that by a considerable period of time.  He had no way of adapting the Luthor you like, so he went with the Luthor of the Silver and Bronze Age comics, although at least that Lex was more of a mad scientist than a mad real estate developer who occasionally used science for his ends.

QuoteYou know what I meant by that phrase, don't be obtuse. He would only promote his own cause if she were single.

Why?  Fair play?

And iirc, he doesn't get pissy about Lois and Richard's relationship.  He gives a shit, but he isn't an ass about it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on June 17, 2013, 11:20:22 PM
I'm fucking Banning Ide, this shit has got to stop.

So our tastes differ and you don't like things that have color in them.  What are you mad about?  If you'll excuse the reference to a vivid hue, it's your golden age of cinema.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 11:16:56 PM
By all means, continue to practice grade inflation when it comes to the systematic raping of my childhood institutions.

Guess you should be putting yourself on the Axis of Anime as well. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2013, 11:49:29 PM

Wrong, shitburger. Japanese animation prior to
1) 1984, and
2) its embrace by the faggot hipster movement

is null and void regarding Axis.  Therefore, generational participation of Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Star Blazers are exempt.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 11:53:10 PM

1) 1984, and

is null and void regarding Axis.  Therefore, generational participation of Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Star Blazers are exempt.

Sounds arbitrary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CdM

Also, The Killing finally arrived (more like I had to go to the UPS hub across town and pick it up, meaning that with actual price, gas, and opportunity cost I wound up spending about $80 on it <_< ).  That movie's still rad, but also on the Criterion disc (and fuck those guys in general, but this was solid) was Kubrick's other noir, Killer's Kiss (1955).

Simple story: washed up boxer fights a gangster over the future of a degraded young woman.  One notable sequence: the boxer is chased by the gangster's minions through a New York neighborhood so abandoned yet monumental it feels like the ruins of a lost civilization, ending in a fight in a mannequin factory.  This is pretty arty, and I liked it. It is marred, however, by a shot where you can see a car move in the background, and the decision to actually have a guy needlessly be working in an otherwise unoccupied mannequin factory.  At 67 minutes it still felt slightly overlong.  B

I figured your Kubrick-hatin' self would be pleased with the lukewarm review. :hug:

P.S. If it makes you any happier, Bay's Transformers movies still suck.  Wait, that's my childhood.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 11:54:04 PM
Sounds arbitrary.

Well, it's not.  It is both completely justifiable and judicially sound.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 11:53:10 PM

1) 1984, and

Also, side note, but did you see we are this forums top 2 prolific personalities?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I guess quantity's a quality all its own.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 11:57:20 PM
I guess quantity's a quality all its own.

Not when it is an overly long movie review.