Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2010, 10:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2010, 05:24:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2010, 08:58:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 10:54:32 PM

QuoteChomsky Warns of Risk of Fascism in America
By Matthew Rothschild, April 12, 2010

Noam Chomsky, the leading leftwing intellectual, warned last week that fascism may be coming to the United States.

"I'm just old enough to have heard a number of Hitler's speeches on the radio," he said, "and I have a memory of the texture and the tone of the cheering mobs, and I have the dread sense of the dark clouds of fascism gathering" here at home...

"The level of anger and fear is like nothing I can compare in my lifetime," he said.

He listened to Hitler and yet Nazi Germany doesn't compare to today's level of anger and fear in the US?  :yeahright:
Surely he meant the level of anger and fear in the US in his lifetime, though even then he would be wrong.
I think he meant today's level of anger and fear in the US.  He uses the present tense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

[ :tinfoil: ] Risk of Fascism? pfft if he was a real leftie He'd know that's already happened, the fascists are already running things...  [ / :tinfoil: ]

:p
:p

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2010, 09:02:13 AM

One of two things is true:
(1) Lewis wrote this statement fifty years prior to his birth; or
(2) Those who created this demotivator, plus those who promulgate it, are clueless morons who lack reading skills.
[/quote]

And if Sarah Palin is the rise of Fascism I'll eat my hat.  And I have a fairly good sized hat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

And if I get the quoting right on this damn website I'll eat a smaller, paper hat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fireblade

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2010, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on April 15, 2010, 08:55:24 AM

One of two things is true:
(1) Lewis wrote this statement fifty years prior to his birth; or
(2) Those who created this demotivator, plus those who promulgate it, are clueless morons who lack reading skills.

:homestar: ?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2010, 08:12:40 AM

It's not like fascists don't use similar rhetoric.  Both fascism and communism are anti-elite.

So True.

:weep:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?