Boss: I’d rather employ a paedo than a veteran

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2010, 07:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Ed, didn't they change it to 'less than honorable discharge' or 'not honorable discharge' or something lame?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2010, 09:49:45 AM
Ed, didn't they change it to 'less than honorable discharge' or 'not honorable discharge' or something lame?

Other than Honorable is less severe than a dishonorable.

I think. I don't think they have jiggered with those too much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Hmmm... I interviewed a guy a few years ago who was less than honorably discharged or other than honorably discharged because he had failed a random drug screen (he peed hot for pot).

If that's not a 'dishonorable' discharge... I mean, do you have to do a My Lai or rape someone to get a dishonorable discharge?

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2010, 09:57:44 AM
Hmmm... I interviewed a guy a few years ago who was less than honorably discharged or other than honorably discharged because he had failed a random drug screen (he peed hot for pot).

If that's not a 'dishonorable' discharge... I mean, do you have to do a My Lai or rape someone to get a dishonorable discharge?

Isn't that what gay people get too, under DADT?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2010, 09:57:44 AM

Dishonorables are the criminals. I think they get treated like felons and lose the right to vote, own a gun, etc. etc. The OTH are the screw-ups.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2010, 10:02:47 AM
Isn't that what gay people get too, under DADT?
Depends on what they discharge into.

Martinus

According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge, General discharge is for stuff like DADT, OTH is for civilian court (usually minor) conviction and dishonorable is for court martial.

Josquius

QuoteBoss: I'd rather employ a paedo than a hero
Hero.
:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

dps

There are 3 types of administrative discharge:  Honorable, General, and Other Than Honorable.  Since they are administrative, none of these involve a court-martial, though a serviceperson can appeal a General or Other Than Honorable discharge.  A General discharge means that there are some relatively minor performance or conduct issues, and the person remains eligible for most (though not all) veterens' benefits.  (FYI for Marty and other interested parties, discharges for homosexual conduct usually General discharges.)  An Other Than Honorable discharge is used in cases of more severe problems that still don't merit a court martial.  A person who receives an Other Than Honorable discharge will be ineligible for most veterens' benefits.

If an offense is serious enough to warrant a court-martial, then an enlisted person, if convicted, will be given either a Bad Conduct discharge or a Dishonorable discharge, usually after serving a term of imprisonment in a military prison.  A person who gets one of these will basically forfeit all veterens' benefits;  in addition, a person who gets a Dishonorable discharge may face further penalties even after leaving the service, for example, federal law bars a person who received a Dishonorable dischage from owning firearms, and some states won't allow a person with a Dishonorable discarge to vote (which makes sense in that some states don't allow convicted felons to vote, and someone who got a Dishonorable discharge was essentially convicted of a felony, just by a military court).  Officers don't get Bad Conduct or Dishonorable discharges;  if convicted by a court martial, they are subject to dismissal, which is basically the same as a Dishonorable discharge.  (A discharge or dismissal is not automatic on conviction by a court martial--it has to be included as part of the sentence, but AFAIK, it is pretty much standard for it to be included.)

And Cal:  yeah, basically to get a Dishonorable discharge you have to be guilty of serious shit, like rape or murder--pretty much something that would be a major felony if committed by a civilian.  The only thing that I think of that would get you a Dishonorable discharge that wouldn't be likely to get you a substantial prison term in civilian life would be desertion.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2010, 10:14:55 AM
QuoteBoss: I'd rather employ a paedo than a hero
Hero.
:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Given what he said about soldiers, I doubt he called them heroes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2010, 07:54:09 AM
And while I am at it, I hope you have a cancer relapse, you miserable piece of shit excuse for a human being. Die pls.

After that first post, I was wondering if you were slipping. Nope.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2010, 11:05:08 AM
So, would the guy employ Siegy?
:lol:

I'd employ Seigey, assuming he was otherwise qualified for whatever he applied to.  I like people who aren't afraid to pull the trigger.  I have to deal with too much of that shit now as it is.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2010, 11:13:40 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2010, 11:05:08 AM
So, would the guy employ Siegy?
:lol:

I'd employ Seigey, assuming he was otherwise qualified for whatever he applied to.  I like people who aren't afraid to pull the trigger.  I have to deal with too much of that shit now as it is.

Might be awkward when he brought the goat carcass to work though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on March 17, 2010, 09:02:50 AM
The writing on that article is so jingoistic that it has gone to colonize Rhodesia again.
Since when did 'hero' become a synonym for 'serviceman'?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.