medium rare
23 (34.8%)
rare
14 (21.2%)
very rare
6 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

PRC

Medium rare - rub steak in oil and seasoning salt - 1.5 minutes on one side then flip for 1.5 minutes on the other side, flip again 1.5 minutes on the first side placing it so you get that X pattern on the steak and then final 1.5 minutes on the last side.  That's the perfect medium rare steak.

With a steak you want the juices to stay in it (as opposed to burgers) so by keeping the time per side short and flipping it every 1.5 minutes the juices don't collect and drain out the bottom side.

DGuller

Medium rare.  I want it to bleed a pinkish color profusely when I cut it.

Scipio

If it don't moo when I cut it, it's overcooked.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Very rare. Hold it over a match for 10 seconds.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Fate

Fresh from the carcass. I better trust the cow to be disease free than the Mexican who doesn't wash his hands with Hep B preparing it.

DisturbedPervert

I don't really like steak.  I prefer beef to be an ingredient in some other dish rather than a giant slab of meat.

Jaron

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 11, 2010, 01:15:58 PM
I don't really like steak.  I prefer beef to be an ingredient in some other dish rather than a giant slab of meat.

Same. I've never been a fan of big slabs of meat.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

medium to medium well done.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

At a good steak restaurant that actually knows their 'doneness', I order medium.

Anywhere else I order medium-rare in order to get the same result.  Too many people over-cook steak.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2010, 02:06:05 PM
At a good steak restaurant that actually knows their 'doneness', I order medium.

Anywhere else I order medium-rare in order to get the same result.  Too many people over-cook steak.

Conversely, I used to work in a kitchen where the chef - a stout geordie fellow - would go apoplectic every time an order came in for anything above medium rare.

"Why don't they just eat their fucking shoe leather? Who let these fucking peasants into my restaurant" was one memorable episode as he started throwing cooking utensils across the room.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller

Quote from: Warspite on March 11, 2010, 02:15:50 PM

Conversely, I used to work in a kitchen where the chef - a stout geordie fellow - would go apoplectic every time an order came in for anything above medium rare.

"Why don't they just eat their fucking shoe leather? Who let these fucking peasants into my restaurant" was one memorable episode as he started throwing cooking utensils across the room.
Did he spit in the steak (or let his foaming drool drip on it)?

Barrister

In what way is that the converse of my statement?   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

In what way is that the converse of my statement?   :huh:

Some restaurants full well know how a steak should be enjoyed.  :P
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Sounds like a chef needs to be met in the parking lot. With a slapjack.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

This reminds me of a company dinner we had. 70% or so of our staff is female. There were two main courses to choose from, and many chose the "beef carpaccio". It was one of the best I ever had, but it was embarrassing how many ladies grimaced at the sight of their food, and many didn't eat it, with two or three even complaining to the waiters that their food was "undercooked".

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.