French rail SNCF sorry for 'racist' alert on Romanians

Started by Savonarola, February 24, 2010, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Another victory for the thieving gypsies.  WAKE UP EUROPE!

QuoteFrench rail SNCF sorry for 'racist' alert on Romanians 

Rail bosses said they "neither endorsed nor supported" the note
French national rail operator SNCF has apologised for a note that singled out Romanians over baggage thefts and triggered accusations of xenophobia.

The note asked employees to bring "all activities of Romanians" to the attention of rail security services.

The note was distributed at the end of January in the Midi-Pyrenees region.

SNCF said the note was a "regrettable individual initiative" and had been recalled as soon as regional train officials learnt about it.

An SNCF spokesperson told the BBC that the official responsible for the note had been summoned along with their superiors, and had been reminded of the "obligations and culture of the SNCF".

She said the matter was being dealt with internally.

'Racist'

The note was published on the French news site Rue89 after one of their contributors noticed it on a local train on 1 February.

It read: "In the last few weeks concerns have arisen about Romanians. Indeed, numerous baggage thefts have been noticed.

"We ask you to redouble your vigilance. In addition, all the activities of Romanians should be brought to the attention of the PCNS [rail security services]."

The Sud-Rail trade union was quoted by local media as denouncing the note as "racist".

"These ideas, in a general context in which xenophobia and the stigmatisation of immigrants is becoming more intolerable each day, have to be condemned in the strongest manner," the union said.

SNCF issued a statement on Tuesday saying the note had been intended to draw attention to "an increase in thefts committed on certain trains".

It apologised for the note, saying it had been drawn up in a way that the company "neither endorsed nor supported", adding that the duty of SNCF staff was to protect goods and persons "without distinction of origin, social class or nationality".
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Rom seems to be an ambiguous term for some people. Score another victory for the PC crusaders!

Sud Rail (civil servant) trade union  :yuk: Always on strike and their language skills are not that good ;)

As a matter of fact, there are more gypsies in the South of France but most of them were somewhat French until recently...

Tamas

Viking

They were probably trying to avoid being raciss towards gyppos by using another term.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quotereminded of the "obligations and culture of the SNCF".

Precisely. In the best tradition of the SNCF, you only pay attention to the gypsies if they try to escape from the cattle trains.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Viking on February 25, 2010, 02:54:51 AM
They were probably trying to avoid being raciss towards gyppos by using another term.

Yeah, otherwise I'm not sure how you're supposed to tell who the Romanians are

Tamas

Martinus

I think this article operates from a false premise that gypsies and Romanians are somehow distinct groups. In Poland, we have Romanian beggars and the word "Romanian" has become synonymous for a thieving beggar. :P

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM