News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pentagon announces end of ban on women on subs

Started by jimmy olsen, February 23, 2010, 07:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Grumbler remembers when just having a woman on ship was bad luck.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/02/navy_women_subs_022310w/

QuotePentagon announces end of ban on women on subs

By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Feb 23, 2010 17:22:20 EST

The Pentagon on Monday notified Congress that women will be able to join submarine crews within 30 legislative working days, making good on the wishes of top Navy commanders announced last fall.

As required by law, Defense Secretary Robert Gates sent a letter to legislative leaders announcing the Navy's plan to lift its ban on female submariners, giving the House and Senate time to absorb the decision and, if members want, to take action. Congress can pass a law forbidding integration, requiring the Navy to wait or perform a study. If it does nothing, as expected, the ban will expire around the end of April.

Technically, the Defense Department needs to give Congress time to absorb the policy change before it can spend money to accommodate women, Gates wrote, according to a copy of his letter obtained by Navy Times.

"The Department of the Navy recently concluded a further review of this matter and has determined it is ready to implement policy changes to support a phased approach to the assignment of women to submarines. No funds to reconfigure submarines to accommodate female crew members will be expended until the Department of the Navy provides its plan to the Department of Defense and Congress. The Department of the Navy stands ready to present the phased approach plan to Congress."
1st women

According to the Navy's initial plans last year, the first women on submarines will likely be nuclear-qualified supply and surface lieutenants already in the fleet, who will join the crews of Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines by late 2011.

Navy leaders called for integrating women onto submarine crews last September, after Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, voiced his support for mixed-gender crews in congressional testimony. Gates' message to Congress on Monday was the payoff of a drawn-out internal bureaucratic process that began in October.

A defense official told Navy Times on Tuesday that this week's notification was similar to the process in 1993 when the Pentagon told Congress the Navy was permitting women to join the crews of surface ships.

Capt. Beci Brenton, a spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, said Tuesday that he stands behind his statements last year calling for women to be integrated into submarine crews.

"Secretary Mabus believes assigning women to submarines is a great idea and the right thing to do," Brenton said.

Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton, the Democrat who chairs the House Armed Services Committee, gave a carefully worded statement through a spokeswoman Tuesday:

"The DoD's decision to allow women to serve on submarines will present challenges, but these challenges should not be insurmountable for the Navy," he said. "The committee expects a thorough assessment of the effectiveness and risks involved in this decision following its implementation."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Whew.  For a moment, I thought the thread was for a "ban on sub women".  I was ready to panic.

DGuller

When I was in Philly, I went to a naval museum, and walked around in a WWII sub.  On the bathroom door, there was a poster with two smiling guys, which said "Save water - shower with a friend!"  Good luck saving water now, with both genders onboard.  :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2010, 07:42:33 PM
When I was in Philly, I went to a naval museum, and walked around in a WWII sub.  On the bathroom door, there was a poster with two smiling guys, which said "Save water - shower with a friend!"  Good luck saving water now, with both genders onboard.  :rolleyes:
They have a nuclear reactor on board, they can desalinate water.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2010, 07:18:29 PM
Actually, i can remember being on the first ship to have enlisted women assigned to the crew since the Vietnam-era USS Comfort.  That was fun.  Not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

:lol:

Like submarines have "bathrooms," let alone those kinds of posters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2010, 08:24:30 PM
Actually, i can remember being on the first ship to have enlisted women assigned to the crew since the Vietnam-era USS Comfort.  That was fun.  Not.

Did the women ruin the traditional sailor sexual practices?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

C.C.R.

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2010, 08:41:10 PM
Did the women ruin the traditional sailor sexual practices?

Indeed.  Rum, Vaginal Sex & The Lash just doesn't have the same ring to it...

:(

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2010, 08:28:02 PM
:lol:

Like submarines have "bathrooms," let alone those kinds of posters.
Yes, it was more of a very cramped stall, sorry for not being precise.  As for the poster, it's there, and it wasn't a prank poster, which is what made it funny.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Maybe in a few years they'll let the women serve inside the submarines as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Makes sense. The boomer crews may be forced to repopulate the world.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2010, 08:24:30 PM

Why not?