UK-Israel relations hit the rocks over Dubai assanation

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2010, 09:29:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2010, 08:12:24 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 11:23:09 AMIn Polish for example, the word for "Jews" and "Israelis" is the same.

This explains a lot.
Yeah, it also means "subhuman," "devil-worshiper," "murderer of Christ," and "drinker of Christian children's blood."

When you have a language with a total vocabulary of only forty words (plus six grunts that carry specific meanings) you have to make each one go a long way.
Silly grumbler, you are talking to a Icelander, the last culture that needs an explanation on limited vocab.
Absolutist is an Icelander.
I thought he turned out to be a fake Icelander?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2010, 12:29:50 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2010, 09:29:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 18, 2010, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2010, 08:12:24 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2010, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 11:23:09 AMIn Polish for example, the word for "Jews" and "Israelis" is the same.

This explains a lot.
Yeah, it also means "subhuman," "devil-worshiper," "murderer of Christ," and "drinker of Christian children's blood."

When you have a language with a total vocabulary of only forty words (plus six grunts that carry specific meanings) you have to make each one go a long way.
Silly grumbler, you are talking to a Icelander, the last culture that needs an explanation on limited vocab.
Absolutist is an Icelander.
I thought he turned out to be a fake Icelander?

Yes, he is fake. I exposed him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Fireblade

This thread is ironic, considering Martinus is secretly Jewish himself.

Martinus

It's interesting to see where Malthus's loyalties lie in a dispute between his Queen and Israel.  :P :showoff:

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 08:33:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2010, 08:07:06 PM
I suspect your difficulty comes from ignorance.  If you actually knew anything about the topic, you could probably imagine many ways in which they could have carried it out more sloppily.

Don't feel bad about it - I don't know much about the topic, either.  However, I don't base any argument on the fact that I am too ignorant to imagine much in this scenario, and that would probably be a wise policy for you as well.

Well, no, I doubt either of us are experts. However, we both have imaginations, we are both reasonably well read, and we are operating with a limited number of ways things could have gone worse if we stick with the way the Israelis seem to have planned it.

I could imagine many ways they could have carried it out more sloppily, but only if I go back to square one and plan the assassination to take place in a different location or by a different method. Even on the assumption that even the Israelis try to avoid mass murder (by blowing up the plane he was on, for example) I can come up with a worse scenario. For example, if they tried to eliminate him with a bomb, that blew up an innocent chamber maid by accident. Or a shooting attempt at a public cafe which hits bystanders and not the target. Or if they do try a shooting, the weapons are intercepted when they enter the country and the operation is rolled up from there.

Once they've picked the location and method they have, there's only one way I can see that it could have gone worse - if the target had been alert enough to put up sufficient of a struggle to compromise their physical escape, perhaps by injuring one of them sufficently that it caused suspicion on their exit, or by making a noise that raised the alarm. It's possible that prematurely alerted authorities might intercept them on the way out of the country even if nothing different happens in the room (if the body is discovered early, perhaps) but that seems fairly unlikely given how quickly they would have arranged to exit the country.

I am curious as to what happened to his bodyguards; I would have assumed he would have some given his position, unless he was trying to travel "under the radar."
See, it is not so "difficult to see how they could have carried it out more sloppily" after all! :woot:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Going a bit on a tangent from the usual bashing, I read in today's papers that the identities used by the Mossad were those of Israeli nationals of British origin, and some of them are planning to sue.

I wonder how's the usual m.o. for these operations, wouldn't it be better to use randomly generated identities, rather than taking the identities of real existing people?

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2010, 07:44:27 AM
I wonder how's the usual m.o. for these operations, wouldn't it be better to use randomly generated identities, rather than taking the identities of real existing people?
The identities of real existing people are in data bases that the authorities you are trying to fool will consult.  If you make up identities, you have to somehow get that information into the, say British, passport database.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:31:13 AM
See, it is not so "difficult to see how they could have carried it out more sloppily" after all! :woot:

:sigh:

And I am still left with only one way it could have "gone worse" if you limit yourself to their plan, which is what I said all along. And that option doesn't involve any extra sloppiness in the execution of the plan to that already shown.

Still, glad to have met with your approval... ;)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 07:53:28 AM
:sigh:

And I am still left with only one way it could have "gone worse" if you limit yourself to their plan, which is what I said all along. Still, glad to have met with your approval... ;)
I recognize that your ability to imagine is feeble, because you know little or nothing about the topic, but want to encourage you where i can.  I seems to matter to you for some reason.

QuoteAnd that option doesn't involve any extra sloppiness in the execution of the plan to that already shown.
Since we don't know the plan, we really cannot address the sloppiness with which it was executed. :hug:

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:59:34 AMI recognize that your ability to imagine is feeble, because you know little or nothing about the topic, but want to encourage you where i can.  I seems to matter to you for some reason.

Other than the fact that you're the guy who posts contrary positions to mine most often, I can't see why that should be... :hmm:  :P

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 07:59:34 AMSince we don't know the plan, we really cannot address the sloppiness with which it was executed. :hug:

I think we can see enough about it on the news to be able to posit a reasonable facsimile of it. Which, of course, is basically the whole problem.

Still, in the spirit of Languish... :hug:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 08:05:20 AM
I think we can see enough about it on the news to be able to posit a reasonable facsimile of it. Which, of course, is basically the whole problem.
You assume that what you see on the TV matches with your guesses as to what was planned and what happened, and then note that "the whole problem" is that you can assume that you can deduce the plan based on what you have seen about it on TV?  :lol:

How perfectly circular.  Not at all convincing, but one cannot have everything.

At least you recognize that the use of real passport names/numbers isn't "basically" part of "the whole problem."

Bayraktar!

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 12:26:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:22:02 PM
And he damns the whole race.

My ancestors killed and raped your ancestors. So fuck you.

Really?  When did Iceland invade the US?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 12:26:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:22:02 PM
And he damns the whole race.

My ancestors killed and raped your ancestors. So fuck you.

Really?  When did Iceland invade the US?

By some accounts, around 1000 AD.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Fireblade on February 19, 2010, 12:42:09 AM
This thread is ironic, considering Martinus is secretly Jewish himself.

I will kill myself if that is true!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"