News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Republican Candidates for the 2012 Nomination

Started by stjaba, February 10, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 06:29:43 PM
Who was Jesse Jackson before 1984, for example?

Just probably the best-known leader of the African-American community, on a national level, anyway.  He was almost certainly more well known nationally than any black member of Congress.

Barrister

Would you say he had "national stature"?

It was my impression that his Presidential run, and his "rainbow coalition", is what cemented his status, for a time, as the leading black american figure.

But I could certainly be wrong however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2010, 06:36:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 06:29:43 PM
Running for President can sink an awful lot of men (and women), but the very race can also build national stature.  Who was Jesse Jackson before 1984, for example?

Wasn't he with MLK when he got shot?

He's always claimed that he was, but most of what I have read on the subject suggests that he actually got there several minutes after the shooting.  He did make a big point of showing the press King's blood on his clothes at a news conference later that day.

If you meant "with MLK when he got shot" in a slightly broader sense than actually being physically present at the shooting, then, yes, he was definated part of the group travelling with King at the time.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 06:38:50 PM

It was my impression that his Presidential run, and his "rainbow coalition", is what cemented his status, for a time, as the leading black american figure.

I certainly knew who he was before then.  But then again, I was considered to be much more well-read than the vast majority of Americans, so I don't know if that proves anything.

However, even my mother knew who he was, so that's a pretty good indication that he was pretty well-known.

EDIT:  Let me try to put it another way.  If you had asked white Americans at the time to give the names of prominent leaders in the black community, he would have been one of the most named people, if not THE most mentioned.  I always had the impression that within the black community itself, there were a number of leaders who were more well regarded, though black people in general certainly knew who he was.  So I think that it's fair to say that his run for the Presidency helped solidify his position within his target constituency, but I don't think that it necessarily make him more widely known on a national level.

Neil

Quote from: dps on February 15, 2010, 06:23:58 PM
I'd say Eisenhower was more qualified (or less unqualified) than Lincoln because his position as highly-ranking general in WWII was closer to a political job than a normal military command (that is, his responsibilities and duties were in many ways closer to that of a executive or diplomat than that of an actual front-line commander) but he hadn't been particularly high-ranking before the war.
Eisenhower was a lieutenant colonel and the chief of staff to the 3rd Army, which is pretty high-ranking in the interwar army.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 06:38:50 PM

You are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: AnchorClanker on February 15, 2010, 05:57:10 PM
The GOP has some hard decisions to make if they are to make a serious run in 2012

There's still plenty of time for someone not on this list to come out of the woodwork. I don't think Bill Clinton was on anybody's radar this time in 1990.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

stjaba

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 15, 2010, 08:40:57 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on February 15, 2010, 05:57:10 PM
The GOP has some hard decisions to make if they are to make a serious run in 2012

There's still plenty of time for someone not on this list to come out of the woodwork. I don't think Bill Clinton was on anybody's radar this time in 1990.

The primary calendar is far more compressed than it was in the early 90's. Also, fundraising and early momentum are probably more important than ever. Nowadays, I think it would be much harder for a candidate to come out of no where.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2010, 02:00:05 AM
Quote from: dps on February 14, 2010, 03:13:16 PM
I think that the term you wanted to use was "Bible thumper", not "Bible basher".  A Bible thumper is someone who is always quoting the Bible and is in-your-face about his faith (and there is some connotation that he is hypocritical about it, too).  A Bible basher is someone who disparages the Bible and the faith it promulgates.
Bible basher's British for 'Bible thumper'.
How does that even make sense!? :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2010, 01:03:22 AM
Well 'bashing' isn't too far away from 'thumping'.  Though 'bashing' doesn't always mean a positive thing.  For example Martinus is not a gay basher.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: sbr on February 16, 2010, 01:14:36 AM
How do lift, pram or flat make sense?
I think being lifted up and down is more accurate than elevating :P
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2010, 01:18:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2010, 01:03:22 AM
Well 'bashing' isn't too far away from 'thumping'.  Though 'bashing' doesn't always mean a positive thing.  For example Martinus is not a gay basher.

Yeah he only deserves to be part of a gay bashing.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on February 16, 2010, 01:14:36 AM
How do lift, pram or flat make sense?
Well, lift kind of makes sense. The elevator lifts you to the next floor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point