News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 15, 2010, 10:09:56 AM
Just read that before the quake Haiti had 2 fire stations in the entire country. Damn, that's poor.
Wow.  Their fire insurance premiums must've been off the charts.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2010, 12:15:03 PM
Just read that before the quake Haiti had 2 fire stations in the entire country. Damn, that's poor.

:lmfao:

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2010, 12:15:03 PM

As I said, Concrete doesn't burn much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

I'm tired of hearing about it everywhere already - and this is only day 3 of the Deconstructivist Era(TM) in Haiti.  This btw is how we become desensitized about such events: the media force feed us 24/7 until overload.  <_<

Anyhow there's a colleague who organizes an art exhibit whose profits will be distributed to some charity over there so I'll have a couple of drinks and buy some art and assuage my conscience for cheap.

As an aside, I think those officials still alive should offer their country for bid to private corporations.  I'm sure some of them might enjoy having a 'flag of convenience' and plenty of cheap labor.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 15, 2010, 12:09:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2010, 12:02:00 PM
Japan's doing pretty well, and it's almost completely natives.   :P

The Ainu would disagree

Well, the Aztecs were interlopers as well, but I was referring to the American colonization in the late 1940s.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grallon on January 15, 2010, 12:27:19 PM
I'm tired of hearing about it everywhere already - and this is only day 3 of the Deconstructivist Era(TM) in Haiti.  This btw is how we become desensitized about such events: the media force feed us 24/7 until overload.  <_<

Solution- turn the channel or turn the tv off.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on January 15, 2010, 11:55:35 AM
Post-colonial success is had by not having enough natives left to fuck up the country.

Post-modern success is had by not inviting enough third worlders into your country to fuck it up.

Any questions?

Is Japan a colonial success? :huh:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Slargos on January 15, 2010, 12:45:31 PM
Post-colonial success is had by not having enough natives left to fuck up the country.

Post-modern success is had by not inviting enough third worlders into your country to fuck it up.

Any questions?

Is Japan a colonial success? :huh:

Anywhere that's not Europe = Colonie
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 15, 2010, 12:09:11 PM
Japan's doing pretty well, and it's almost completely natives.   :P

The Ainu would disagree
They are being erased a little more every year though. :(
PDH!

Habbaku

Any questions?

Sure.  How does Chile fit into your preconceived notions?  They are ~50% white, 50% native/mestizo and are certainly a successful, modern nation.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2010, 12:56:43 PM

Any questions?

Sure.  How does Chile fit into your preconceived notions?  They are ~50% white, 50% native/mestizo and are certainly a successful, modern nation.

Obviously, there aren't enough natives around to fuck up the country. Duh.  :P

Besides, I wouldn't call Chile a modern nation.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 12:53:14 PM

Japan may have done the technological modernization themselves but the social/cultural part we force fed them.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 15, 2010, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2010, 12:53:14 PM

Japan may have done the technological modernization themselves but the social/cultural part we force fed them.

Sure, and they were receptive to it, unlike the other 90% of the third world.

Of course, Japan had a centralized civilization to begin with.