News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Universalis - Game thread

Started by Slargos, January 03, 2010, 07:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Yeah, I meant Portugal and Spain.  Both of you should probably slow down and consolidate for a session before expanding any further, in my opinion.  Too much at once and you're going to end up way behind in tech relative to me, Kleves and the Ottomans, should they Westernize.

Anyhow, here are the respective armies and navies :

Of note, Austria maintains easily the largest army and manpower reserve--an easy task when you're the Emperor and hold Greater Bavaria as well as the entirety of the Low Countries--but that France's army, while relatively modest, has the manpower reserves to meet the Emperor man for man, if need be.  Castille is predictably anemic and will likely never reach such vaunted heights and Portugal doesn't even register, naturally.  The Ottomans, meanwhile, have the luxury of having an army large enough to defend against any power singularly and, with but a single ally of the other major powers, to best a challenger to their territory.

The less said about England the better.

Speaking of England--their navy does rule supreme, for the time being, but as always, a relatively weak economy cannot hope to maintain the narrow gulf between pretenders to naval dominance such as France.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on February 07, 2010, 11:38:24 PM
Wooo I don't have the smallest Navy!

Yeah, that's something I recommend that Alci rectify immediately.  Castille/Spain needs a navy large enough to keep their colonies maxed out on tariff efficiency, at the very least.  I also noticed when we were playing that he was having pirates pop up.  The easiest way to prevent that is to make sure you have a single ship stationed in every sea zone (NOT every port)--that will prevent them from even appearing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

Worrying about other things at the moment :)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

katmai

Yeah i'm patrolling off South America and when we ended had ships being built in all of Portugal.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Habbaku

France = Habbaku
England = Solmyr
Castille = Alci
Portugal = Katmai
Austria = Kleves
Ottomans = Tamas

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

For use as a benchmark, here are the starting manpower/economies for the 1492 scenario (note that the economics doesn't include much in the way of trade income) :

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on February 08, 2010, 12:33:43 AM
France = Habbaku
England = Solmyr
Castille = Alci
Portugal = Katmai
Austria = Kleves
Ottomans = Tamas

Thanks 

Solmyr

England is also the first major protestant power (unless one counts Poland as major), which probably fucks me over and places me at the mercy of the RNG for the foreseeable future until I can convert enough provinces to protty. :P

Seen

How fitting you use the same thread for a new game.  :P

Looks interesting again with France focusing on a colonial empire, will be following :)

Kleves

So the French are the richest nation in the world, with the manpower of Austria, and the navy of England. Wow. Thank God Karl was porking his Bavarian cousin.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on February 08, 2010, 10:30:23 AM
So the French are the richest nation in the world, with the manpower of Austria, and the navy of England.

All is right with the world.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

More seriously, I think that as far as EU III goes a navy should be seen as merely an expression of a nation's economy.  A rich nation can afford (and should afford) a navy large and powerful enough to protect its shores.  Unless a country is nearly-completely landlocked, it cannot afford to have an anemic navy in comparison to its potential enemies--if it eschews a proper fleet, it'll be at the mercy of a stronger fleet like we saw happened to Slargos' Ottomans.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Seen

Quote from: Habbaku on February 08, 2010, 11:24:17 AM
More seriously, I think that as far as EU III goes a navy should be seen as merely an expression of a nation's economy.  A rich nation can afford (and should afford) a navy large and powerful enough to protect its shores.  Unless a country is nearly-completely landlocked, it cannot afford to have an anemic navy in comparison to its potential enemies--if it eschews a proper fleet, it'll be at the mercy of a stronger fleet like we saw happened to Slargos' Ottomans.
How is that different from eu2, or reality?  :D