Obama gives Queen Elizabeth II an Ipod with his speeches

Started by Weatherman, April 01, 2009, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 10:42:51 AM
Edit:  And, incidentally, we did have a minor protocol heart attack when George W Bush winked at the Queen :lol:
Yeah, but did he ever take her for a ride around the ranch in his pickup truck?  I think the Queen missed out on that.  :bowler:

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2009, 10:29:00 AM
If it's OK for the Sultan of Brunei to give Bush a CD entitled "Jazz for Quiet Moments," a custom engraved ipod for the Queen seems OK.

Nay. A gift of apple products is never appropriate.  And it certainly isn't appropriate to give a copy of your own speeches when you are about as worldly as a newborn.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:01:38 AM
Nay. A gift of apple products is never appropriate.  And it certainly isn't appropriate to give a copy of your own speeches when you are about as worldly as a newborn.

I thought it was of the Queen's state visit to the US in 2007 (though she already has a DVD of that, from the Bushes).

Anyway the Daily Mail is very excited by the whole presence of the Queen:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1166490/Michelle-Obama-breaks-royal-protocol-giving-Queen-hug.html
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 11:07:05 AM
I thought it was of the Queen's state visit to the US in 2007 (though she already has a DVD of that, from the Bushes).

The intro article for this thread and one I read from bloomberg said that it had songs (show tunes), some photos and stuff from the queen's state visit and then 3 speeches by Obama.

Here's from the Chicago SunTimes:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/1508272,obama-queen-elizabeth-ipod-040209.article
Quotephotos of the president's January inauguration, as well as mp3s of Obama's inaugural address and his 2004 speech to the Democratic National Convention.

I guess Hillary was wrong.  Obama didn't just give a speech in 2004...he gave it to the Queen. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Obama should have included his audio book in there ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: fahdiz on April 02, 2009, 10:51:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2009, 10:00:35 AM
I'm a bad person - I laughed at most of those.

Particularly this one:

Quote"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

:D

Yeah, that's pretty brilliant. :D

:lmfao: I love that guy.  Didn't he actually make a spear-chucker joke when he was in Swaziland once?  Prince Philip for Emperor.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2009, 11:15:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2009, 11:07:05 AM

The intro article for this thread and one I read from bloomberg said that it had songs (show tunes), some photos and stuff from the queen's state visit and then 3 speeches by Obama.

Here's from the Chicago SunTimes:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/1508272,obama-queen-elizabeth-ipod-040209.article
Quotephotos of the president's January inauguration, as well as mp3s of Obama's inaugural address and his 2004 speech to the Democratic National Convention.

I guess Hillary was wrong.  Obama didn't just give a speech in 2004...he gave it to the Queen. :blush:
Oops.  British press hasn't mentioned that :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 11:49:27 AM
:lmfao: I love that guy.  Didn't he actually make a spear-chucker joke when he was in Swaziland once?  Prince Philip for Emperor.

Australia, actually, talking to aborigines.
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 09:49:54 AM
It does seem like such a crass gift though - is Best Buy Obamas sponsor or something?

Joschka Fischer once gave Colin Powell a couple bottles of Flensburger beer, a favorite of Powell during his time stationed in Germany. Powell later returned the bottles to Fischer in a plastic bag at their next meeting so that Fischer could collect the bottle deposit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

QuoteDuring her reign Her Majesty has received lacrosse sticks, sunglasses, a pair of sandals, pineapples, eggs, a box of snail shells, a grove of maple trees, a dozen tins of of tuna and 7kg of prawns.

Sounds like souvenirs from a Carribean vacation (except the maple trees).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Obama should have gave the queen the gift of unrestrained national power.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2009, 12:03:34 PM
It does seem like such a crass gift though - is Best Buy Obamas sponsor or something?

Joschka Fischer once gave Colin Powell a couple bottles of Flensburger beer, a favorite of Powell during his time stationed in Germany. Powell later returned the bottles to Fischer in a plastic bag at their next meeting so that Fischer could collect the bottle deposit.

See, now that is fucking cool.

Although I don't really like beer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

:lmfao:

KRonn

Wow... what kind of prices are on your bottle deposits anyway?     :huh:

;)

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2009, 12:15:40 PM
Wow... what kind of prices are on your bottle deposits anyway?     :huh:

Germany? 0.08 (normal bottle) or 0.15 € (swing top cap).
—Stephen Jay Gould