Police takedown on the snow-covered streets of Edmonton, and on my car

Started by Neil, December 06, 2009, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

As requested by Tim:

So, we've received about 15-20 cm of snow in the last 48 hours, which is highly unusual this far inland.  Most of the roads are totally shit.  So, yesterday I drove my wife to the Butterdome (the university's arena that looks like it is constructed out of yellow bricks of butter) for the craft show she was going to with my mother.  Afterwards, it was about 2 in the afternoon, and I was getting hungry, so I decide I'm going to McDonald's for a cheeseburger and a small fry.  I pull into the lot, and rather than using the drivethrough, I notice a nice, cleared area to park in.  I park the car, and walk towards the door.  All of the sudden, I hear a short blast of a siren right behind me.  I turn around to see an SUV backing into the stall next to mine, and three large navy blue Suburbans with flashing lights surround him, and a ghost car cut off the entrance to the parking lot.  Then, six guys with submachineguns pile out of the SUVs and one guy starts shouting at him to turn off the ignition and put his hands on the wheel.

I go in, get my cheeseburger and small fry, and then come out, when I realize the horrible truth.  I can't get to my car because of all the machineguns and SUVs and whatnot.  So, I hang around and wait for them to clear up, watch them search the guy.  They were actually rather quick, which I appreciated.  According to one of the plainclothes officers hanging around, the guy was a suspect in a shooting.

I live in a rather nice neighborhood, so I found it interesting.  You don't see that every day.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quotecraft show

Unless your mother and wife are witches (wouldn't surprise me), that's just *gag*.

jimmy olsen

So, where other people at the McDonald's taking this scene as calmly as you or was there some panic?

Also, I've been wondering, who is your sig quoting?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2009, 10:23:21 AM
So, where other people at the McDonald's taking this scene as calmly as you or was there some panic?

Do people in the US panic when they see police cars following another car?  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 06, 2009, 10:24:44 AM

Do people in the US panic when they see police cars following another car?  :lol:
No, but I was of course referring to the multiple officers with submachine guns taking in a suspect, but you knew that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on December 06, 2009, 10:22:36 AM
Quotecraft show

Unless your mother and wife are witches (wouldn't surprise me), that's just *gag*.
Heterosexual women, unlike homosexual men, can create things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Me and the one other guy there were pretty laid back.  Traffic is down due to the blizzard, until the clearing crews catch up.  I just wanted to make sure that they didn't get into a gunfight on my car.
QuoteAlso, I've been wondering, who is your sig quoting?
I'm paraphrasing Eliezer Yudkowsky, who was talking about AI.

Josquius

The police told you what was up? I thought they weren't meant to do that.
Always good to have a bit of risk free excitement in your life.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

God, what a horrible, embarassing story - I can't believe you went to McDonalds.  :x
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil