News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the best U.S. major PRO sports league?

Started by Syt, December 05, 2009, 01:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best U.S. major PRO sports league? (PICK TWO!)

NFL
31 (77.5%)
MLB
7 (17.5%)
NHL
7 (17.5%)
NBA
7 (17.5%)
MLS
6 (15%)
JLS (Jaron League Sports)
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jaron

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 05, 2009, 03:15:12 PM
Quote from: Jaron on December 05, 2009, 03:11:42 PM
If they want to  pack the house, just go around to all the neighbors around the stadium, get them to donate all the shit that would get stolen anyways and put it in a basement gauntlet beneath the stadium.

After the game, the trap doors open and the real event can begin! :w00t:

:lol:  I got caught in a pseudo-riot several years ago trying to take my grandfather to watch a St. John's University basketball game at Madison Square Garden.  One of the hip-hop radio stations had announced some erroneous information about an electronics sale that was going on there, and it turned into a good old-fashioned window-smashing melee.

:o how did you escape?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

NFL is by far the best.

2nd place though is a tie for me between NHL and MLS
Baseball is boring to me anymore and NBA is dead to me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jaron on December 05, 2009, 03:20:39 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 05, 2009, 03:15:12 PM
:lol:  I got caught in a pseudo-riot several years ago trying to take my grandfather to watch a St. John's University basketball game at Madison Square Garden.  One of the hip-hop radio stations had announced some erroneous information about an electronics sale that was going on there, and it turned into a good old-fashioned window-smasthing melee.

:o how did you escape?

I took a deep breath, seized Grandad by the arm, and charged right through.   :alberta:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadBurgerMaker

NFL then NBA.  MLB and NHL are both pretty cool too though. 

BuddhaRhubarb

NHL because it's only American in that we need their money to keep it going (except in Montreal and Toronto) Also it's the only interesting sport mentioned.
:p

MadImmortalMan

Most pro sports are crap. But the NFL is the least bad. NBA the worst.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2009, 03:18:55 PM
I've been to exactly one hockey game and I couldn't see the puck then either.

Time to renew the prescription.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 05, 2009, 01:21:05 PM
This.  The playoffs are a big stain on MLB.  It should be like the old days with just the League Championship and the World Series.
Doubleplusgood point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: sbr on December 05, 2009, 01:17:13 PM
MLB is close but I don't like the playoff format.  They play 162 games in ~180 days; you have to have 5 starting pitchers and a good deep bullpen.  When the playoffs roll around they play 3 games a week; you can win with 3 starters and a middle reliever and a closer.  They should make the playoff rounds best of 11 and play every day.

This.  The playoffs are a big stain on MLB.  It should be like the old days with just the League Championship and the World Series.

I agree. Of course the owners (in Football, too) see only "More games = more revenue". Baseball in November? That's wrong. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

The NFL. The way they do revenue sharing allows all teams to be competitive as far as their management allows.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

None. Can't get into the NFL for some reason, and the other sports are boring to watch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2009, 01:57:17 AM
Quote from: sbr on December 05, 2009, 01:17:13 PM
MLB is close but I don't like the playoff format.  They play 162 games in ~180 days; you have to have 5 starting pitchers and a good deep bullpen.  When the playoffs roll around they play 3 games a week; you can win with 3 starters and a middle reliever and a closer.  They should make the playoff rounds best of 11 and play every day.

I agree. Of course the owners (in Football, too) see only "More games = more revenue". Baseball in November? That's wrong. :(

It isn't necessarily about more or less games it is about how often they play them.    If they played 5-6 games a week like they did in the regular season they could be done well before November.

Grey Fox

NFL is obviously the best & I voted for the NHL, because, well I like Hockey & I wish buttman would die.

Baseball is OK but they don't have enough playoff spots for me to care about any of their games. That & the Yankees.

Basketball is the most boring sport that was ever organized.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2009, 01:06:36 PM
Well, what is it?

For me MLB, followed by NFL.

P.S.: Maybe some mod (KATMAI?) could change the second MLB to MLS?
NFL is the best sports league.
NHL is the best sport.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 10:29:40 PM
Doubleplusgood point.

I agree, but the problem is they overexpanded and there isn't a way to get the genie back in the bottle.

It would be tough to put just 4 teams into the postseason with 30 teams. But if we are going to have 8 post season teams, at least the first round should be 7 games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014