News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My father is sad.

Started by Phillip V, March 30, 2009, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So does Languish look like it needs repeat of p'dox ot topics?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2009, 01:59:52 PM

But if you want double the attention...?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

It's really your fault for reading Pdox.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

99% of the interweb is an echo chamber anyway. why should we be any different?
humans were created in their own image

Admiral Yi

Phillip: Have you seen Billy Jack? :ph34r:

Jacob

I think the number one thing you can do for your dad is what was suggested up-thread, that you make sure he knows you appreciate the sacrifices he made for you.  If you can scrape up the cash to treat him to a Cambodia trip, ideally with you, that'd be an excellent gesture.

Threatening the people at his work who are dicks to him could be satisfying, but it's hard to pull off without knowing more of the specifics there.

At this point I don't think pushing to "improve his English" is really going to help the situation, but help finding him some peers might go a long way to cheer him up.  Yeah, your family lived in a white neighbourhood to avoid having the kids sucked into gang related crime.  Likely a good call.  Now, the situation is different and perhaps it'll do your father good to hang out with other Cambodians his age once in a while to eat food, drink tea and play mah jong (or rather, the Cambodian equivalent) and speak his native tongue without feeling bad about it.  It's unlikely this'll expose his family to dangers at this point and it could cheer him up.  Connecting with the Cambodian community could also potential put you (and him) in connection with resources that are more acceptable to him than seeing a therapist - I don't know, perhaps some sort of religious or spiritual person who can chat with him about things or maybe simply a group of people who've been through similar things as himself.

Finally, of course, you could find yourself a nice woman and have some kids at the earliest opportunity.  If he's anything like 95% of parents, few things will give him more joy than having grandkids to spoil and fuss about.

It sounds like he's lonely.  The two best counters to that is to somehow connect him to people who'll make him less lonely and to emphasize the good things that came out of his sacrifices.

Good luck :hug:

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

BuddhaRhubarb

oh and Philip I really liked Jacob's response about your problem with yr Dad. reconnecting to his community (esp if kids are all grown) will put a smile back on his face and make it easier to shrug off morons at work. Grandkids also work wonders in this regard.
:p

Jacob

Yes, yes it does.  Ideally, it needs a repeat of all the interesting and/ or amusing paradox topics.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on April 01, 2009, 12:32:34 PM
Yes, yes it does.  Ideally, it needs a repeat of all the interesting and/ or amusing paradox topics.
But Crunchy disappeared. :(

Or did he hit his peak over at Kapland?

And P5, I'm gonna echo the comment about showing up in uniform. It takes a special class of loser to get stared down by a soldier and then keep talking smack to their father. I gotta admit, usually my father was the one people were intimidated by (only intentially when dealing with administrators who were giving me a hard time, though), but in college I got hit by some of the hazing, and it mysteriously stopped once I made a point of hanging around my marine buddies.
Experience bij!

garbon

That's true, Carrot. Most people are able to dredge up some faux-respect or at least polite manners for men in uniform.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.