News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Martinus

That's rather silly - even if you disregard the blatant restriction of freedom, I can't for the life of me see the benefit of such a measure.

The only reasonable grounds for banning construction of minarets in some place would be either because it fucks up with the landscape (same reason we ban, say, tall buildings in some places etc.) or that noise of the muezzins (sp?) would constitute a nuisance for the local populace.

Eddie Teach

Of course not.

I don't have a problem with the government paying special attention to Muslim houses of worship, however.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2009, 11:24:17 AM

The only reasonable grounds for banning construction of minarets in some place would be either because it fucks up with the landscape (same reason we ban, say, tall buildings in some places etc.) or that noise of the muezzins (sp?) would constitute a nuisance for the local populace.

One of the defender of the ban is describing minarets as "ideological emitters"...   Social ecology should also be considered yes?  :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

PDH

Quote from: Grallon on November 20, 2009, 11:33:33 AM
One of the defender of the ban is describing minarets as "ideological emitters"...   Social ecology should also be considered yes?  :P
Sounds like more tinfoil is needed in the caps in Switzerland.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 20, 2009, 11:28:39 AM
Of course not.

I don't have a problem with the government paying special attention to Muslim houses of worship, however.

I'm glad you and Grallon have both foudn something you can agree upon.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grallon

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2009, 11:39:52 AM
Of course not. That's stupid.

Hmmm I wonder how much of the opposition is motivated by political correctness? 

Is there no grounds then to the argument that Islam is dangerous and it's propagation should be curtailed? 

And please let's not compare 'AIDS Warriors' whith fanatical jihadists...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on November 20, 2009, 11:50:50 AM
Hmmm I wonder how much of the opposition is motivated by political correctness? 

Is there no grounds then to the argument that Islam is dangerous and it's propagation should be curtailed? 

And please let's not compare 'AIDS Warriors' whith fanatical jihadists...

Trying to halt the propogation of Islam goes against one of the core beliefs of western culture - that people are free to practice whatever faith they wish.

And why not compare?  I don't like the AIDS example though - I prefer the gay child molester (since it's a more deliberate act).  If I could prove that child molester's are disproportionately gay, would that be grounds to persecute gays?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on November 20, 2009, 11:37:44 AM
I'm glad you and Grallon have both foudn something you can agree upon.

Intelligence efforts should be targeted, that's simple common sense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2009, 11:53:07 AM
Trying to halt the propogation of Islam goes against one of the core beliefs of western culture - that people are free to practice whatever faith they wish.

And why not compare?  I don't like the AIDS example though - I prefer the gay child molester (since it's a more deliberate act).  If I could prove that child molester's are disproportionately gay, would that be grounds to persecute gays?

Even the right to freedom of religion is not inviolable.  When a faith's "followers" hide behind a religious facade to tie the government's hands in dealing with the bloody insurrection it encourages and participates in, then catering to that religion no longer serves in the country's best interests.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 20, 2009, 12:04:13 PM

Even the right to freedom of religion is not inviolable.  When a faith's "followers" hide behind a religious facade to tie the government's hands in dealing with the bloody insurrection it encourages and participates in, then catering to that religion no longer serves in the country's best interests.

So, to pick an example, during the troubles in Northern Ireland, the UK would have been correct to no longer "cater" to Catholicism?  :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2009, 11:24:17 AM
That's rather silly - even if you disregard the blatant restriction of freedom, I can't for the life of me see the benefit of such a measure.

I agree entirely.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 20, 2009, 12:04:13 PM
Switzerland hasn't dealt with bloody religious insurrection since Zwingli was swanning round Geneva.
Let's bomb Russia!

Slargos

It's just a matter of time now.

Or to elaborate:

Preventing the spread of Islam is a sign of societal health. Western civilization is an old codger with a dysfunctional immunesystem. In the paraphrased words of agent Smith, "Islam.. is a disease."

Grallon

Add enough religiously motivated demands, enough religiously inspired accomodations and you end up having said western culture undermined...  for having been too mired in its own tropes and ideological conundrums.

Or let me put it this way, christianity used to be a malignant disease that we've become more or less immune to whereas Islam is still extremely virulent.

Common sense dictates we should try to prevent the spread of a disease rather than stupidly exposing ourselves to it.

G.

~Jean-François Revel