News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Annual "Green Fields of France" post

Started by grumbler, November 11, 2009, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10agPj0Vzu4

To that I add the Fields of Athenry, redone by a local band in honor of a New England lady whose husband fell in Afghanistan.
PDH!

Mr.Penguin

I remember back in the mid 90's  when I was i Dublin with my class, it was in November and "the Green fields of France" was played in just about every pub we visited. Some of the girls in my group, with their usual lack situation awareness, though it was a stupid song and didnt fail to tell it to everyone, I was so close to smacking them...       
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

BuddhaRhubarb

Flanders Fields FTW! but those others are of the mood too. Lest We Forget etc. :poppy:
:p

Razgovory

:(  The last two Tommies died this year.  I wonder if any Doughboys, Landsers, Diggers, or Poilu are still kicking around.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2009, 01:42:24 PM
:(  The last two Tommies died this year.  I wonder if any Doughboys, Landsers, Diggers, or Poilu are still kicking around.

The last german verteran died in january 2008, his last remaining french counterpart followed only weeks later. The last austrian veteran died in May 2008 and the last turkish one in april 2008.
It had been the death of an era.  :cry:

grumbler

One Tommy is still left, plus a Canucklehead and a Yank.  The Tommy is in Oz now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail.aspx?artikelid=DS2HPG10

it's in dutch but basically the article is about the youngest officially recognised civilian victim (26 years old now) of the First World War.
The ammo in stuck in Flanders' Fields even now still makes casualties.

Lucidor