7 (21.9%)
I prefer being tormented by existential doubt
10 (31.3%)
Custömåry Jårön öptiön
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2009, 11:08:01 AM
The bookcases are pretty good. I have several of those.

The problem with Ikea is that if you get a whole room set, much of the stuff is truly cheap and shoddy - and looks it.

It is however a good way to buy starter furniture one step above using milk crates - the best part is that much of it is very cheap. To be replaced with good stuff ASAP.

The main problem with Ikea is that a lot of their stuff don't take full advantage of the available space.  If my ceiling is 8 feet 10 inches high, the wardrobe needs to be at least 8 feet 9 inches high.  The only way to achieve that is custom made furniture, which in Hong Kong is very cheap and even cheaper than Ikea. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on November 05, 2009, 06:39:05 AM

The obvious answer to "why" is because you're a tightass. But I'm intrigued as to how someone so self-confessedly ham-fisted put so much together. You didn't *gasp* pay someone, did you>

I have two Ikea document shelves.  The first one I put together myself, spending a whole day literally from dawn to dusk to get it done.  My wife had enough and when I bought the second one, we paid Ikea 10% extra to have it assembled in my place.  They did it in 10 minutes. 

But I did a much better job.  The sliding door in the shelf that I assembled moved a lot smoother.  Also they made one or two mistakes, resulting in some tiny screwing holes that shouldn't be there  :mad:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on November 05, 2009, 09:49:06 PM
The main problem with Ikea is that a lot of their stuff don't take full advantage of the available space.  If my ceiling is 8 feet 10 inches high, the wardrobe needs to be at least 8 feet 9 inches high.  The only way to achieve that is custom made furniture, which in Hong Kong is very cheap and even cheaper than Ikea.
Which is just your opinion, unless you're somewhere over 9 feet tall and actually need that much space to hang clothing- some people use the top of their wardrobes as shelf space.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 05, 2009, 09:57:01 PM
Which is just your opinion, unless you're somewhere over 9 feet tall and actually need that much space to hang clothing- some people use the top of their wardrobes as shelf space.

I also use the top of my wardrobes as storage.  I need my wardrobes to be 9 feet tall.  A 9 feet tall wardrobe with dividing panels in it can store more stuff than a 7 feet tall wardrobe with empty space between the top of the wardrobe and ceiling.  Every.  Inch.  Is.  Precious. 

Also, this avoids damaging the paint at the ceiling when you move stuff around.

garbon

Your ceiling is rather low.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2009, 12:28:50 AM

Your ceiling is rather low.

Every inch is precious, and I mean it in a 3 dimension way  :cry:

Camerus

My old apartment in Montreal was furnished almost completely by IKEA.

I have no idea where the stuff in my Nanjing one comes from, but it does look like it came straight out of an Ikea catalog.

BVN

I spend 5 fucking hours at IKEA monday.  :frusty: :frusty:

On the plus side: the cabinets were cheap and the meatballs were yummy

Monoriu

So wife wants to upgrade our wardrobes from custom-made bottom-of-the-barrel stuff to Ikea.  Two of our existing wardrobes have a width of exactly 125cm.  Ikea wardrobe components are 50 cm wide.  No deal.  There is absolutely no way I'll give up that 25 cm of space. 

katmai

Never been inside an IKEA or owned something from there.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

BuddhaRhubarb

currently The only ikea I have are some linens I got as a housewarming, and two great wooden folding tables that are perfect for watching the game and having Lonely man dinner.
But I bought those at a yard sale.
I have had various ikea stuff in the past. You get what you pay for from them. If it's really cheap and it's furniture. It's crap. high end it's good. go figure.
:p

CountDeMoney

I'll tell you one thing, the Swedes make probably some of the best, badass and most reliable IP-based cameras and surveillance suites out there.