News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Science Trivia Thread

Started by Viking, November 09, 2009, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2009, 06:38:15 PM
For what work did Einstein get his Nobel prize in 1921?

I know what he didn't get it for... I just can't remember what he got it for. :(
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

His tireless campaign to impeach Bush.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2009, 06:39:54 PM

I know what he didn't get it for... I just can't remember what he got it for. :(

Its a lot more difficult then it sounds at first.

edit:  My grade 7 son got me with this one....

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2009, 06:45:08 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2009, 06:39:54 PM

Its a lot more difficult then it sounds at first.

edit:  My grade 7 son got me with this one....

It's a bit like J.R.R. Tolkein getting the Literature Prize for The Silmarillon.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Photoelectric effect.

Or maybe that was earlier. I don't know if he won just 1 or 2.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 16, 2009, 06:53:32 PM
Photoelectric effect.

Or maybe that was earlier. I don't know if he won just 1 or 2.

ding ding ding.

And it was that work that got him thinking about relativity and the rest is history.

HisMajestyBOB

Easy question for astronomy nerds:
As a supergiant star nears the end of it's lifespan, it begins burning denser and denser fuels in it's core through nuclear fusion. Eventually it ends up with an element that cannot be used in a fusion reaction (it requires more energy than it gives off); without the heat generated from the fusion reaction, the core collapses, creating either a neutron star or, if the star is massive enough, a black hole.

What is the last element present in the star's core, and approximately how long is it from the element's first appearance to the core's collapse?

ulmont

HisMajestyBOB

Yes to Iron (wiki says it's actually Nickel that decays into Iron, but every other source I've seen says Iron, so FU wikipedia).

Hint on the length: each successive element burning process takes much less time than the previous one. Hydrogen takes 10s of millions of years, depending on the star's mass (bigger is shorter); helium is just millions of years; carbon is 1000s of years...

ulmont

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 16, 2009, 08:30:56 PM
Yes to Iron (wiki says it's actually Nickel that decays into Iron, but every other source I've seen says Iron, so FU wikipedia).

Hint on the length: each successive element burning process takes much less time than the previous one. Hydrogen takes 10s of millions of years, depending on the star's mass (bigger is shorter); helium is just millions of years; carbon is 1000s of years...

Sounds like it's going to be something on the other of 10^-lots seconds.

HisMajestyBOB

Not quite that short. It's a long time to go without food, but a short time for a vacation.

Neil

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 16, 2009, 09:12:20 PM
Not quite that short. It's a long time to go without food, but a short time for a vacation.
It also varies somewhat based on the mass of the star, although not tremendously.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

HisMajestyBOB

Close enough. It's about 3-5 days for your typical supergiant star (~20 solar masses). As Neil stated, larger stars burn faster, smaller ones burn slower.

Ulmont got the iron, Viking got the time, so you two can duke it out.

ulmont