News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is FOX News really that bad?

Started by Syt, October 30, 2009, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

As someone who gets his American politics coverage from Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert ( :blush: ) here's a question to the Americans here.

Is FOX News really as bad as they make it seem? Blowing things out of proportion, misrepresenting things, riling people up, and even contradicting themselves in their opinion on some things depending on whether Republitards or Dumbocrats did it?

I find Glenn Beck funny.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Predicted answer: Conservatards will say "no".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Incidentally people who watch the daily show are better informed then people who watch Fox News.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2009, 11:36:26 AM
Incidentally people who watch the daily show are better informed then people who watch Fox News.

:yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sahib

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2009, 11:36:26 AM

:yeahright:

Conservatard
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

derspiess

As a conservative that has bitched about the "Clinton News Network" & other leftwing bias, I don't think any of the networks are as bad as some are claiming Fox News to be, let alone Fox News itself. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Frankly, I think they're the only fair and balanced media outlet left.

Admiral Yi

I watched Fox a bit at the beginning of GW II, but had to switch because their expert commentators were just too much.

My opinion, based on very very little viewing, is that their presentation of the news per se is pretty straightforward, it's when the talking heads have their go that Fox goes nuts.

dps

I remember reading something written by a media watchdog type a few years back about Fox News.  He made the point that Fox News' actual news content actually is "fair and balanced" in that it is at least as objective and accurate as any other major news outlet, but it's editorial content and news discussion programs are clearly slanted towards a conservative viewpoint.  I tend to agree with him.

DGuller

It is pretty bad.  It's so bad that I've never even watched it.

Razgovory

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2009, 11:57:14 AM
I watched Fox a bit at the beginning of GW II, but had to switch because their expert commentators were just too much.

My opinion, based on very very little viewing, is that their presentation of the news per se is pretty straightforward, it's when the talking heads have their go that Fox goes nuts.

I'll go along with that, but add that when they do in depth looks at certain aspects of the news, they are almost always the issues that republicans would want an in depth look.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2009, 11:57:14 AM

Would you say that FOX News is dominated by actual news reporting or by the opinion folks? In a similar vein, do the opinion people get more coverage than their role at FOXN warrants?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Question on Glen Beck: he started on CNN, and switched to Fox. Since he switched to Fox, he has become enormously controversial. Is that because the left wing attack groups weren't inclined to go after a personality on CNN, he has a bigger audiance on Fox, his opinions have become more controversial on Fox (I only saw him on CNN), or some other reason?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2009, 11:59:31 AM
I remember reading something written by a media watchdog type a few years back about Fox News.  He made the point that Fox News' actual news content actually is "fair and balanced" in that it is at least as objective and accurate as any other major news outlet, but it's editorial content and news discussion programs are clearly slanted towards a conservative viewpoint.  I tend to agree with him.

Apparently, leftwingers have forgotten that there is (or at least there is supposed to be) a line drawn between editorial content & news reporting.

My biggest gripe about Fox News's news reporting is that they try wayyyy too hard to outdo the other networks on the sensational missing blonde chick-type stories.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall