News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What will Languish be like in 10 years?

Started by Slargos, October 27, 2009, 12:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

The "are you a gamer" poll got me thinking.

The year is 2019.

What is Languish like?

Are we still here? Are YOU still here?

Forum technology has only received cosmetic upgrades the last decade, but look 20 years back and people Languished on BBS and mailinglists.

For my part, I think I will probably be around as long as Languish is alive (or I upset someone's delicate sensibilities enough to be sitebanned, or I die in a flaming wreck of metal, plastic and rubber), since it fills a useful function in my life.

It's hard to imagine any change to the way we interact as big as the move from dialup servers to internet forums.

stjaba

The other day I was just thinking about how long I've been in the Languish/Paradox community. I think I joined P-Dox in the summer of 2001. I've been on different message boards over the years, but never for as long as 8 years. I know Languish is different from Paradox, but nearly everyone here used to be members there.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

If the board is still around and I haven't become a bestselling author millionaire ... yeah, I'll be around.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I've been around since 2001 or so, and so have most of you tards. That's a long time, so if things were going to go to hell in a handbasket, collapse, explode or disperse, it would have happened by now. As long as somebody is willing to keep the domain and server up, we'll still be around in some form or other that's remarkably similar to this.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sahib

ATM I'm not optimistic  about languish long-term survival. It's getting stale lately.
I think it might be dieing  :cry:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Listen to it again and draw your own conclusions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 27, 2009, 01:02:07 PM
Quote from: Siege on October 27, 2009, 01:00:43 PM
I'll be in Afghanistan.

Siege! How are you?

Bored. The damn war is pretty much over, not counting the occasional bombing.
We are suppossed to go out in missions with the iraqi security forces, in support role, but they don't want us to go with them because it makes them look bad in the eyes of the local populace.

We still go out every day, but is just travelling from base to base. No more raids for us. At least not here in Baghdad.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"