Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

My save is clocking in at 35 hours & I haven't left Lothering. I need to stop leaving it on pause all nite.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 08:00:07 AM
The rest of the initial story was absolutely predictable.  I knew as soon as I heard the battle plan and got assigned to go to  the top of the tower what would happen on the way there and what would happen when I got to the top.  It is what seemingly happens in every game like this.
Well, you know from the beginning who's bad and who's not.   It's clear from the beginning that Arl Howe is a bad guy, so is Lothair.

So far, I would rate this game so far as a 7.  It has its moments, but in none of them did I feel any emotional commitment.  It is all far too predictable and the presentation and graphics are not nearly good enough to be immersive.  Fun?  Yes, but in the way that War in the Pacific was fun, not in the way that Morrowind was fun.
Graphics not good enough?  Hmm, do you play with high/very high settings everywhere?
As for the game being immersive, I think you should give yourself time :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 08:04:50 AM
Agreed.  It was so painfully obvious that I think they must have made it so on purpose.  Maybe the writers think people like having their egos stroked when they "figure out" what's going to happen in advance due to the foreshadowing.  I know nothing about writing theory so I dunno if this is something writers strive to do on occasion or what.
Ah, and there I thought I was being so clever.  Thanks for ruining my fun  :mad:
:D

Like you&Grumbler, I was surprised by the Grey Wardens :D  I was especially shocked when I entered their tower!
But most stuff, yeah, you can guess it miles&miles in advance.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Marti,

Spoiler alert,  Spoiler alert!!!!

The mass battle is dead easy.  All you need to do is lead groups of bad guys back up to where the Knights are up the hill.  Kill them off then go back for the next group that gathered while you were away.  This becomes even easier if you have mages that can cast the various mass sleep and disorient spells

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2009, 10:38:18 AM
Like you&Grumbler, I was surprised by the Grey Wardens :D 

When Duncan drew his blade and then said "I am sorry" as the guy was dying, I knew I would like this game.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2009, 10:38:18 AM
But most stuff, yeah, you can guess it miles&miles in advance.

I figured most of the forshadowing at the beginning of the game was intentional.  I mean it was pretty obvious bad things were going to happen both during the origin stories and the prelude part and most of the time who the bad dudes were. 

It is a bit more interesting with anything dealing with the dwarves I mean you KNOW whatever you do will probably blow up in your face and everybody is not as they appear but you are just rather curious how exactly things are going to suck.

As I said you know roughly what is going down and who is going to do it you just are not sure why (well besides malicious evilness)...or maybe you guys do :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2009, 01:25:44 PM
BTW, are the long loading times just a feature of my system, or is it endemic.  I see a few mentions of it here and there, but nothing consistent.  If it is endemic like it was in The Witcher, then we can hope that it will be fixed, as The Witcher was.
I have long loading times.  My system was high end at same time last year... now...
I still hate it though.  Knowing a better processor would do the trick, I'd do it right now.

Valmy

rebooting my machine does help with the load times.  Stupid memory leaks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on November 11, 2009, 08:18:50 AM
I'm lost in the Fade with my first character - I can't get to the second hub.  I keep going in circles between portals and mouse holes.  I have mouse and spirit forms aquired but not the other 2.  It's partly out of frustration over this I rolled the other toons.
Keep searching... ;)
The mouse will let you travel through the mouse holes.
The spirit will let you travel through spirit doors.
One of these will lead you somewhere you've never been.
Then you can get the Golem and start thrashing doors.  Or the Torch and go Flame on all you like through the fire.

Valmy

Yeah it took me awhile to figure out the spirit door thing.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 11:05:18 AM
rebooting my machine does help with the load times.  Stupid memory leaks.
You know that you can get software that recovers memory, right?  Rebooting the machine isn't necessary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 11, 2009, 11:29:09 AM
You know that you can get software that recovers memory, right?  Rebooting the machine isn't necessary.

I did not know that.  It is hardly like rebooting my machine is a huge inconvenience or anything it just gives me time to handle other business for a few minutes.  How does the software work?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Cecil

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 11:22:57 AM
Yeah it took me awhile to figure out the spirit door thing.

The spirit form is probably the least useful form. You need it yes but only in 2 places total. I´d advice to go the other way instead and learn Golem and burning man form. They are useful  and needed in dozens of places. So go clockwise 2 steps then back and counterclockwise. Last but not least do the nightmares and finish up where you began. The demon fight can be pretty harsh though but doable, just make sure you got a good bit of healing.

viper37

Quote from: Cecil on November 11, 2009, 01:33:10 PM
The spirit form is probably the least useful form. You need it yes but only in 2 places total. I´d advice to go the other way instead and learn Golem and burning man form. They are useful  and needed in dozens of places. So go clockwise 2 steps then back and counterclockwise. Last but not least do the nightmares and finish up where you began. The demon fight can be pretty harsh though but doable, just make sure you got a good bit of healing.
Actually, they are pretty easy.  All you need to do is this:

[spoiler]
If they are non-fire people, use the fire form, send fireball, then flame on.Swith to golem, hurl rock, knock them.Switch back to human, hack away.If they are fire-people, use the golem, send rock, knock them.Switch back to human, hack away.Take a potion/elixir/crystal to protect against fire if there's a lot of them.[/][/s]