News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Went to White Castle for lunch today... they used to play strictly oldies on their muzak.  About a year ago, they switched to 80s pop.  It seems that recently they've switched again to.... I'm not sure what they're going for now unless their goal is to offend as many people as possible.  Today I heard:

"Heaven's A Lie", Lacuna Coil
"Killing In The Name Of", RATM (and no, not the radio edit)
a bunch of gangsta rap I didn't recognize

:huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven
A Perfect Circle- Judith
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds- Stranger than Kindness

Capetan Mihali

Sleepy Brown -- "Me, and My Baby, and My Cadillac" (5th wheel on the back yeah, rollin' :cool:). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfiE8Gbt7tw 

I don't know why, but I heard this all the time circa 2005-06, but it seems to be obscure now.  I couldn't even find it online the last time I looked a few years ago searching with the basic chorus lyrics.  I only ever had the hook in my head.  But I got it back and it's still great.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra- Kiss the Sky
Red Elvises- Memoirs of a Phuket Geisha
Firewater- Don't Make it Stop
Garth Brooks- Friends in Low Places
Three Days Grace- Pain
Shakira- Illegal
Smashing Pumpkins- 1979
Crash Test Dummies- The Psychic

garbon

The Killers - Deadlines And Commitments
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Sly and the Family Stone -- "Family Affair," "Luv n' Haight," "(You Caught Me) Smilin'"

This is from the album "There's A Riot Goin' On," recorded in 1971, as Sly was just starting to slip into the cocaine-n'-PCP hole that he never really left, holed up in an LA mansion with a bunch of guns and vicious dogs. 

It's a real change from the classic Family Stone era, with everything dubbed separately, Sly playing almost everything and singing much more in a weird rasp.  Looking it up online, music critics seem to think of this as a "death of the 60s" masterpiece.  "Family Affair" was a No. 1 hit, but does sound much darker than I had remembered it in my head.

Apparently the Black Panthers had been leaning on Sly to take a more radical stance, ditch the white members of the band and write more militant songs.  And he was getting bent out-of-shape by his far-out-wacky-guy-peace-and-love persona.

It looked like Sly Stone was going to come back out of obscurity for a while around 2007, but as of 2011 he is apparently living in a van in Crenshaw, either homeless or too paranoid to live in a house.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Dark Side of the Moon, 5.1 mix
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

Slipknot - Duality.  Need to wake up.
Experience bij!

derspiess

PSA: You can download De La Soul's old albums for free if you sign up for their newsletter, but only for today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/de-la-soul-to-make-entire-catalog-available-for-free-20140213

You're welcome.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Jay Ferguson - Shakedown Cruise
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM